1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cocktails, Spirits and Mixology Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, May 15, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What did you think?

I've read about it, and seen it around town, but had no real need to purchase it.
    But, there's a neat liquor store on Wabash, across from the Hilton, where I did a job on Saturday, and I decided to treat myself to something new.

I was pretty shocked to learn it was a $90 bottle after I settled on it. The 18-year-old was $300!.

The guy working there explained that they had been much cheaper until pretty recently, but that the rave reviews, and the resulting scarcity, has driven up the price.

I normally only drink Scotch straight, but Japanese whisky seems most akin to Scotch -- and it's $90 a bottle -- so I didn't mix this. Everything I read -- much like Scotch -- said to add a splash of water to "open it up".

The guy at the liquor store, and some of the articles I read subsequently, talked about the Japanese water, and how it defines the whiskey. He described a kind of "mineral" tasting finish, and there really was one. Not necessarily unpleasant, but still very different. I enjoyed it, but think it's going to be a bit of an acquired taste before I'm used to it.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It is a single malt, so it definitely tastes a lot like Scotch. I wouldn't mix it. I thought it tasted a little like Highland Park, although it's been a few months since I've had it. I liked it. I think he paid $75 for it, so it's gone up. Their 18-year was named top whiskey in the world last year by one of those magazines that ranks such things.

3. YankeeFan

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Had some fun the other night with a buddy at dinner, we decided to do a blind Whiskey taste test, trying to identify the high end (Hibiki), med (Eagle Rare), and low end (Basel Haden) whiskeys that we selected. Only a half shot of each (1.5 oz), so enough to get a feel for each sample, but not so much that we got hammered (9 oz. of whiskey would do it to me).

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Well, what were the results?

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The Hibiki would be obvious because it's not bourbon. Pick a higher-end bourbon like Angel's Envy or Blanton's.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'm still wondering if you've come up with any use for that Mount Gay rum.

8. YankeeFan

Brooklyn

[​IMG]

2 oz. Rye
    ½ oz. Amer Picon
    ¼ oz. Maraschino
    ¼ oz. Dry Vermouth

Harry Johnson's Bartenter's Manual, 1884.

I've posted many drink recipes that were takes on a Manhattan. The Brooklyn precedes the Manhattan. The Manhattan is a take on a Brooklyn.

bigpern23 likes this.
  9. YankeeFan

Amer Picon

[​IMG]

Amer, like the Italian word Amaro, is French for "bitter".

Amer Picon, is the crucial ingredient in the Brooklyn, but is good on it's own as well.

But, it's not imported into the US.

I bought my bottle here, but it must have been their last bottle, because it's listed as unavailable now:

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-16577.aspx

10. YankeeFan

Tokyo Drift

[​IMG]

2 oz.Yamazaki 12 Japanese Whiskey
    ¾ oz. Sweet Vermouth
    ½ oz. Cardamaro
    1 Teaspoon Strega
    Lemon twist

The Manhattan Project

11. YankeeFan

Rye Witch

[​IMG]

2 oz. Rye
    ¼ oz. Strega
    ¼ oz. Sherry
    1 Sugar Cube
    2 Dashes Orange Bitters

"Strega, a golden herbal liqueur flavored with 70 different spices including Saffron, which gives the spirt it’s characteristic yellow hue, means “witch” in Italian, hence the name. An Italian/ Spanish, Brooklyn/ Sazerac hybrid of sorts."

Jim Meehan, PDT, NYC, 2007

Add Sherry to Your Old Fashioned

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  12. YankeeFan

Draft saved Draft deleted