1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Halloween! (or, YAY FOR CANDY!!!!)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sostartled, Oct 31, 2015.

1. sostartled

sostartled Member

Do anything fun? See any good costumes? My kids were a raccoon (2 1/2 year old) and a lady bug (4 mos). Went to a townhouse community near by with some friends. Didn't see any great costumes, but a Facebook friend posted that they had seen a 4 year old in a red polo and khakis. He was "Jake, from State Farm". I liked that.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I just had a group of kids, ages from about 4 up to about 10, with the youngest in a Superman costume and the rest in some really great Star Wars outfits. It really brought a smile to my face, especially when they all did a great job of yelling, "Trick or Treat!"

(I hate how a lot of times, kids come to the door, you open it, and they just stand there, waiting, expecting their sweet loot, without them saying anything).

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Some of those kids may not be very verbal.

As for costumes, my 1-year -old daughter's scarecrow outfit was the best I saw. But I might be biased.

Ace and HC like this.
  4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

My friend had two 60-something women show up at her door to trick or treat. No kids and no costumes. She thinks that maybe they didn't buy candy and were doing some collecting so they could give out candy at their own houses later.

Ace likes this.
  5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

No bias. She was pretty damn cute.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Wow, that's a new one. I can't imagine doing that at that age, or seeing that.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

A friend and his wife just had a kid recently. They dressed him up in a black and white striped beanie and pants and an orange shirt with black block letters: I JUST SPENT 9 MONTHS ON THE INSIDE.

Loved that.

murphyc, Batman, HC and 1 other person like this.
  8. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

10-hour desk shift in which everything that could have went wrong did. Minus 10 minutes of solid contemplation of walking out the door. No candy bags at work this year, but not surprising since managment cut out a full-time position and the coffee makers. But I didn't have to edit out any stupid shit holiday ledes, so there's that. </crossthread>

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

A bizarre thing last night while I was giving out candy: a kid next door yelled "Victoria's Secret!!!" for no apparent reason.

Made me wonder if my neighbor was handing out gift cards.

Hmm.

Freqposter?

10. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Saw two women doing the kim Kardashian champagne over the head to the butt thing; at least four guys in lederhosen, one witch that was wearing barely more than a bikini; a few red riding hoods pulling wolves by a leash, and one woman puke on the ER waiting room floor and then just sit there in it. In context of my night this all makes sense.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The longterm future of sports might be in trouble if Halloween is any indication; we had about 150 kids come to the door this year, and not one was wearing any sports-related costumes. No football unis, not baseball players, nothing.

12. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

The weather kept the candy-grabbers to a minimum.

As far as doing anything fun, I worked online, watched the World Series and college FB, and read part of a library book.

Considering last year's Halloween sucked rocks, it was pretty fun.

Draft saved Draft deleted