1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports designer, Tulsa World

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JRoyal, Oct 30, 2015.

1. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

We're looking for a designer to join our universal desk at the Tulsa World. The position will be primarily Sports with some news News, but some work in other sections is likely. We're looking for someone with at least a year experience, but we'll consider anyone with talent, including recent graduates. We're part of the Warren Buffett-owned BH Media Group, and we've seen a lot of positive changes in the newsroom in the last couple of years.

Tulsa is a great city to live in and was recently named the top city in the country for young entrepreneurs. It's an exciting place to be a young professional, and the last decade has seen tremendous growth with more expected in the future. I speak from experience in saying it's an awesome place to raise a family, as well.

If you're interested, email your resume and a few work samples to resumes@tulsaworld.com. If you have any questions, send me a message on here or email me at james.royal@tulsaworld.com.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  2. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Will consider recent graduates? Then the pay must be lower than I would expect with a daily circulation of 93,000.

But other than that, seems like a solid town. What's the cost of living like?

3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Pay is based on experience, but we pay well for a paper our size in middle America. I've known plenty of recent graduates who are incredibly talented designers, and I'm happy to take a young designer and help them grow. We'd definitely prefer someone with experience for this, but I don't like to close the door on the idea of hiring someone just because they haven't been out of college long enough.

The cost of living in Tulsa is great. That's part of why I've been here a decade.

4. DeskMonkey1

So someone with nine years experience wouldn't be overqualified?

Is this strictly design or is it design/editing?

5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Re: Tulsa cost of living

Rentals are surprisingly high for what you're getting, but if you're in the market to buy, it's a great place. And gas is cheap.

6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Strictly design outside of maybe the occasional page proof. And in recent years we've hired designers with very little experience outside of college all the way up to people with to seven years experience, and we recently hired a copy editor with far more than that. It all comes down to whether we feel the person is a good fit for our paper. There's always a financial side to that equation, and I won't say that hasn't been an issue for some candidates in the past, but for designers applying from papers smaller than the World, it's should be a step up.

7. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I always tell people to check the suburbs if they can't find something that they like in Tulsa itself. Some good deals to be found there, and I love some of those communities (esp. Broken Arrow, where I live).

8. DeskMonkey1

I would certainly be renting for a few years before buying

Draft saved Draft deleted