1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lord.......you can take me now....I've seen it all.....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Both of these instances happened within about 25 minutes of each other yesterday.

Had a bunch of people over for pizza/beer watching the World Series last night.
    Call Pizza Hut at about 4:30 and place my fairly large order----6 pizzas.....bunch of wings.......sticks, etc.....
    The total comes to $104.46.......I hand her a $100 bill and a $10......
    The nice young lady at the register (early 20's) looks at me as if I had a large vagina stapled to my forehead.
    As I live and breathe.......she looks at me and says "I'm not good with large bills......is this $200?.......
    I wanted to say so badly "Yes maam.........it is."----But I didnt.......I told her it was a 100 and a 10......Her next question......."So, how much do I give you back"......

25 minutes later, I pull into chefville. I had already picked up the case of beer, but forgot the ice. Stop into a local choke and puke. Get behind a lady purchasing a Pepsi from the fountain. Total is .74
    She paid.
    WITH A DEBIT CARD.

In the immortal words of the great Buford T. Justice......."What the hell is the world comin to?"

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I love that you called some place a "choke and puke." When I lived in Alabama, we gave that name to a certain diner in town that was especially horrible. And yet we kept going back, often after 2 a.m. Weird.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If you had hit me 10 years ago with the person buying 30 cents worth of stuff at the supermarket with a debit card, I may have felt the same way about it as the old lady writing a check. But now, I totally get it. Maybe this wasn't what was going on. But I pay with cash as little as possible. I run everything I possibly can through credit cards that pay anywhere from 2 percent to 5 percent cash back, based on the purchase. It adds up. I only pay by cash by necessity, if they don't take cards, or when I can negotiate an all cash price.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

SpeedTchr and Vombatus like this.
  5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

My wife has never understood how I can go on a seven-day business trip with no cash on me whatsoever.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Wait. You bought wings at Pizza Hut?

Steak Snabler likes this.
  7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I really don't understand the hate for debit cards. They don't take longer to use, and are incredibly convenient. Not to mention they make you less of a mugging target.

Carrying cash is for chumps.

Tweener, schiezainc, Killick and 2 others like this.
  9. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

Once at Subway I ordered a BLT and had the following conversation.
    The employee opens the bread, drops bacon on it and asks what else I would like....

“Um, well lettuce and tomato please”

“...oh man, it just hit me. BLT stands for bacon, lettuce, tomato.”

schiezainc likes this.
  10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I know some who feel that using a credit/debit card at a gas pump is for chumps. Bad guys sometimes rig the swipers to capture your info. Seems like that is most prevalent at outdoor locations like gas stations and ATMs.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I haven't paid cash for gas in probably 10 years, maybe longer. As a matter of fact, if I roll up to a gas station that doesn't allow you to pay at the pump, I move on.

Nothing worse than getting stuck in line behind people buying cigarettes. "No, the menthol. No, the 100s. No, the hard pack."

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I bought a greeting card the other day at a dollar store. With tax it was 53 cents.
    And I paid for it with my debit card. It was a personal record. And it was awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted