1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Craig Schmidt - aka Frank Ridgeway

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Just got some awfully sad news - Craig Schmidt died yesterday, per his brother in law's post on Facebook.

Hi folks, my name is Gary Basque, Craig's brother in-law. Unfortunately I need to pass along some sad news. Craig passed away yesterday 10/27/15 at his home in New Jersey.
    We are in the process of making arrangements and setting up a memorial service and will share information as soon as we have the info.
    Although this isn't the ideal way to share info, we figured it would be the easiest way to reach the most people in the shortest amount of time in hopes you could help pass along the news others.
    Thank You,
    Deb, Chris and Gary

Folks here are more familiar with Craig by his screen name. He posted as Frank Ridgeway and he was every bit a man of class and style. He took me under his wing when I became a Jersey resident. He drove from his home and picked me up and took me all over the state, from his favorite lunch spot in Newark to the Yogi Berra Museum to the Jersey shore and some spots Springteen liked to visit.

He was a great journalist and a terrific person. This is just terrible.

RIP Craig/Frank. I'm going to wear my spectators tomorrow in your honor. It meant the world to me when you complimented me on them.

Vombatus likes this.
  2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Oh, no. Loved his insight, obviously. But loved meeting him too at the NYC gathering two years ago. Just seemed like a great guy. Damn it. RIP.

3. Well shit. Good board member.
    Condolences to his family.

How old was he? Had been sick?
    He hadn't posted here in while, right?

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Damn. One of the good ones. RIP, and prayers/condolences to his family.

Since someone asked, he had posted within the last two weeks and was one of those laid off in the NY Daily News purge.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

RIP always enjoyed his posts.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

He turned 56 in Auguest. We last corresponded about a month ago, not long after the layoffs at the Daily News. I don't think he'd been sick. He posted a bit on the Daily News thread.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Horrible, sad news. My condolences to all who knew him. This is another big loss for the board.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

RIP, buddy. What a loss to us all. Craig told some of the best stories on this site, and he did it many, many times.

I hope he's smiling down at us now when I say it's a lock that Frank Ridgeway will be the best-dressed guy at his funeral.

9. Small Town Guy

He was a lot like Craig Stanke in this regard: Every time I saw his name on a post on the journalism board, I knew I was going to learn something.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Aw shit. I didn't know Craig personally but I always enjoyed his Frank posts. Sad news indeed. Thanks for letting us know. :(

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

A gentleman who never lost that trait. I will miss him greatly. RIP, Craig.

12. Small Town Guy

Vombatus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted