1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Eastern Conference playoff projections

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jb3, Oct 28, 2015.

1. jb3

jb3 New Member

We'll start with with the much weaker Eastern Conference, who realistically have 2, MAYBE 3 title contenders. The East compared to the West is quite upsetting, because the lack of talented teams in the East is so high, but regardless here's my playoff predictions;

1. Cleveland Cavaliers
    Whenever you have the best player on planet earth on your squad, you have a chance. Lebron James is unquestionably the best player in the NBA. Kyrie Irving is one of the top point guards, and Kevin Love is still relevant for this team, although i think Tristan Thompson is much more valuable. With Smith, Shumpert, Dellavadova and Mozgov as role players of this offense, i believe had this team been at 100% in the finals last year, they would be the defending champs. Look out for the Cavs.

2. Chicago Bulls
    When you think of the bulls nowadays, you look directly to Derrick Rose and the injuries. Well, I'm here to tell you i think that's long gone. D Rose looked like an animal in the postseason last year, and with an emerging superstar in Jimmy Butler, this team can do special things. Dunleavy provides that shooting spark while Noah can lead the team from the defensive end.

3. Washington Wizards
    Wall? Beal? Porter? Yeah the guards in the capital are pretty good. Whether or not Nene and Gortat can show up down low is what will determine how good this team can be. Impressive sweep over Toronto last year, has given many people a reason to believe that this team is poised for a run.

4. Atlanta Hawks
    This was the biggest surprise in the East last year, as they fed off each other. With the departure of Millsap and Carrol, i think that hurts this team tremendously. Korver and Schroder are still very valuable to a team that moves the ball very well and if this team can get Al Horford involved, this will be a good team.

5. Miami Heat
    Wade and Bosh, the only core players from the championship team remaining with Mario Chalmers should lead this team even with there age. Hassan Whiteside is already one of the most valuable rebounders in the league and wreak some havoc down low. Very excited to see how the rookie Winslow reacts but i believe with a leader like wade and a good passing PG like Dragic he'll be just fine.

6. Milwaukee Bucks
    Jabari Parker. I believe he's the next big thing in the NBA, and if he can stay healthy after that injury last year, i think he can get to a dominant level fast. The addition of Greg Monroe was huge, as now Larry Sanders doesn't have as much pressure to preform on the boards. GA is a solid role guy, and i would also watch out for Rashad Vaughn.

7. Toronto Raptors
    One of the bigger disappointments of last years playoffs as they were dominated and swept by Washington. With a leader in Lowry, and the addition of DeMaree Caroll i think the city of the 6 can squeeze in that 7th spot in the East. Big question mark with Jonas Valincunias and whether he can consistently perform.

8. Detroit Pistons
    Many people believe this pick is one year too early, but i don't think so. With the soon return of Brandon Jennings and the play off Reggie Jackson, i think this team can compete for this 8th spot. Andre Drummond is a top 5 big man in my eyes, and the addition of Illyasova along with the rookie Stanley Johnson can all do some damage. Also look out KCP.

2. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

"The addition of Greg Monroe was huge, as now Larry Sanders doesn't have as much pressure to preform on the boards."

------

Pretty sure Sanders' pressure to "preform on the boards" was eliminated long before Milwaukee signed Monroe.

Gutter likes this.
  3. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

Good Lord. Where to begin?

Huh? He signed a three-year contract to stay.

One is out for 4 weeks. One is a reserve player. But they both are loyal to the end!

I have no idea what this means. Should it say "look out for KCP?" Who or what is KCP?

Also, PSA for some on the board. "Their" is the possessive pronoun for more than one person or thing. (Not to be used with "team," as this person does.) "There" is a whole other word. Example: You can find the Pistons down there at the bottom of the entire Eastern Conference!

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Dude.
    Eastern Conference is not a who.
    And my old pal Larry Sanders is long gone from the Bucks and the NBA.

Sweeping the Raptors last season doesn't have anyone thinking the Wizards could be poised for a "run."

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The next big thing is right now down in New Orleans with Anthony Davis.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

#analysis

7. jb3

jb3 New Member

Completely true, but i think Parker is the another guy who will be a top player in this league very soon.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Tony?
    Dave?

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member