1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Several Republican presidential candidates oppose abortion in all circumstances. That's terrifying'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Again, I don't understand why this is controversial, let alone "terrifying." If you believe that a fetus is alive, and that all life is sacred, then it follows that you should not support a rape or incest exception to abortion.

Rape Exceptions for Abortions Are the GOP’s New Litmus Test

At least the writer acknowledges this deep into the article:

Extreme, yes. But it’s also, as Quayle suggested all those decades ago, rationally consistent. If Republicans are going to argue that any life at any stage of gestation trumps a woman’s right to determine her own future, then it doesn’t make sense for them to distinguish between regular-old unwanted pregnancies and pregnancies that are the product of coercion or violence. If to have an abortion is really and truly “to kill a baby,” to borrow Carson’s phrasing, then the circumstances of the conception of that “baby” should be irrelevant.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

$100 to the charity of your choice if you can tell me who said this without looking it up:

“Abortion is black genocide…What happens to the mind of a person and the moral fabric of a nation that accepts the aborting of the life of a baby without a pang of conscience?”

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Bill Clinton's dick!

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think that you believe I'm trolling on this issue.

I sincerely, earnestly, whole-heartedly think it makes sense to oppose rape and incest exceptions. They don't seem the least bit outlandish or controversial to me.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Slate requires that every other headline must contain the word "terrifying."

6. YankeeFan

No. Not at all.

I agree that the press is all up in arms over what is a fairly conventional position.

It's not been expressed by many politicians lately, but it's not out of the mainstream.

But, this is what liberals try to do. They try to disqualify an opponents argument, rather than counter it.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Exactly. Why hasn't anyone tried to make an argument that women being allowed to have abortions is a good thing?

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Because it's not a "good thing."

It's something that can be an unfortunate medical necessity that politicians somehow erroneously turned into a lifestyle choice.

HC and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  9. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

That one has to be the Good Rev.

Please drop $100 into The Human Fund when you get a chance.

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I wonder what is the position of the Republican candidates' opposition with regard to abortion. I am sure it's just a matter of common sense, very much in the mainstream.

11. YankeeFan

Whatever it is, I'm sure it's not terrifying -- unless you're in utero.

old_tony likes this.
  12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Oh, I suspect you can be out of utero and still find it terrifying. Remember, simply exiting the uterus is only part of the journey toward being born.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.