1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Oklahoma St. Homecoming parade

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Oct 25, 2015.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

image.jpg I know this got mentioned briefly in the college football thread, but the images from Stillwater have been haunting me all day. Shoes, hats, backpacks, cups, etc. All abandoned in an instant by people whose lives were interrupted by a jolt from hell.

Four killed, dozens injured as car crashes into crowd at Oklahoma State University homecoming parade | NewsOK.com

A woman being that dead drunk at 10:30 am makes no sense in any other context, and at the same time makes perfect sense when you think of homecoming on a Division I campus. Hell, it's a wonder there isn't mass carnage every weekend.

I spent a glorious day in Tuscaloosa and didn't partake myself, but there were oceans of booze around every corner. I saw more liquor today in a two-mile radius than Elliott Ness seized in his career. I'm no teatotaler, but it was wildly excessive. You could have made another crystal football out of the empty mini bottles in our section alone. And yet by SEC standards, it was wholly unremarkable.

Am I just the naive prude here? I don't think prohibition is the answer, either in the country or in a campus setting. But Americans from teens to senior citizens seem so chronically immature with alcohol and I don't see how it gets better. I just see debris in the road of lives ripped apart.

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

You are correct. It won't get better.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I remember reading about how Bubba Smith decided to stop doing Miller Lite ads after a visit to the Michigan State campus, where he saw so many drunk kids yelling "Tastes great! Less Filling!"

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with the drinking, but it's long past time to make the punishments for DUIs become so harsh that it will scare the living daylights out of anyone who would think of drinking and driving.

I'm talking five years minimum in prison if you're at .08 to .10, and you get caught without hurting anyone as a first offense. 10 years minimum if you hurt anyone in a crash while drunk from .08 to .10 as a first offense. 20 years if your BAC is .08 to 1.0 if you kill anyone as a first offense. Anything over than .10 and you add a year in prison for every .02. And if you kill anyone when you're over .10, it's life without parole. This way, there's a one-drink buffer so nobody can claim they didn't quite feel drunk.

Any subsequent offenses, the punishment doubles, unless someone dies from someone who has committed a second offense or more. Then it's the death penalty.

Destroy this habit once and for all.

FileNotFound likes this.
  5. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

You would have undercover cops buying shots for the house.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

The bar and restaurant lobby will also hate you.

On a related note, former Episcopalian priest Heather Cook in Baltimore will be sentenced on Tuesday for killing a bicyclist while drunk (around .22 or something) AND texting, then leaving the scene of the accident. She's plead guilty, and was facing over 20 years before the plea deal. Under the plea, she could still get a maximum of 12 years IIRC. Will be interesting to see what the judge hits her with.

BTW, although it shouldn't matter, she's white and folks in Baltimore are watching this to see if she gets far less because of "privilege".

So, anyway, I would add to the above comments FUCK TEXTING WHILE DRIVING.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Tragedy seems to find its way to Oklahoma State athletics.

8. Vombatus

Wasn't it the OSU basketball coach who got run over by a car while jogging back in the early 80s, and a rival school's students created T-shirts depicting a tire track on the back?

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Your dead homecoming paradegoers don't trump my constitutional rights to drink alcohol.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That was my first thought. Man. OSU again? Enough already.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

12. Vombatus

Dexter Manley

Draft saved Draft deleted