1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ongoing Grantland issues

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dirtybird, Oct 23, 2015.

1. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Barnwell wrote something for the site today, but Mays hasn't had anything on there since four days ago, so he might be done or hired by Simmons, I imagine. No podcast from either one this week, when usually, they do two or three a week. The Deadspin article or comments section also mentioned Lowe, but he has an enormous NBA preview on the site today, and did a podcast a few days ago, so that's probably where his efforts were being spent. They haven't updated the contributors section completely yet, since Rembert is still there.

Connelly has a podcast with Aaron Sorkin posted on the site today, which is roughly his third or fourth piece of content since Simmons' ouster. So, I'm not sure how tightly he's running things, or if he's transitioning into the job, or if he's simply going to be a manager as opposed to a content creator too.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Simmons is doing a TV show and a podcast. Not sure where an NFL numbers cruncher like Barnwell fits in. He's already got Cousin Sal for the degenerate NFL gambler role.

I guess he could do his own podcast under Simmons' umbrella.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Some Grantlanders are carrying on with a lack of professionalism and immaturity more befitting of Hollywood actors.

Your job's up in the air? Do the fucking thing right anyway. That's character. You don't turn part of a podcast into some high school yearbook sendoff for departed colleagues and you don't - if that's what is actually occurring - pout in a boycott. And if you're that sour-assed over it, resign like Craggs.

Bill Simmons has taught people not as funny or as totally lucky as he is to be just as churlish as he was.

They won't reap the same rewards.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Grantland will either wither and die entirely, or it'll clean house, try to keep the NBA writers, and otherwise start over. I don't like writing "clean house" because those are paychecks, jobs, etc, but if folks signed up to work for a man and not the giant network that signed every one of his checks and even made it possible for him to keep his Xanadu running for four years, well...go follow your John Galt out to the mountain.

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Rembert had a story up a day or two after it was announced he was leaving, for whatever that's worth

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Rembert, from everything I've read, was the original one-trick pony.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I listened to Lowe's podcast with Kevin Arnovitz and he started the segment by saying that he had been missed some podcasts. He said something like "Holy crap, what a three weeks" and then later in the show referred to the changes at Grantland. So I think his absence was related to management issues.

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Evidently Grantland has not been profitable. I don't know if the absence of Simmons salary changes that. But my understanding is that the podcasts are very popular. It would seem to me that ESPN should be developing those. I don't think that it should be that hard to make money off the Lowe, Kerr and Mays/Barnwall podcasts to cover their salaries. I also think they should push a couple of those podcasts onto their radio network. I think the aforementioned writers all produce an hour of listening that is better than Mike and Mike or the other hosts.

I suspect that Grantland will evolve into something more focused on the most popular sports. Does a movie critic really add that much economic value? Does Pierce writing the occasional feature? I think Grantland will change just as Sports Illustrated changed from the eclectic Laguerre edited magazine of the 60's to the more focused product of the 80's.

10. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Is there any evidence of a boycott beyond Deadsping conjecture? Beyond that, why can't a podcast that's personality-driven take a few moments to say something nice about someone moving on?

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Because it's not about them.

Cold? Yes. But it's not about them. Say it's a personality-driven, it's still about the subject matter.

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Personally, I have never liked the "Grantland" branding. Good/great writing should be able to stand on its own under the ESPN brand. Grantland always sounded to me like some spinoff. And with the 538 and another section below it, Grantland looks even more so now. A sideshow.

I don't think Simmons liked it, IIRC.

I would put all those articles under a new tab, and ditch the Grantland moniker. I'm thinking "ESPNanalysis".

Or ESPNanal for short.

Draft saved Draft deleted