1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Climate Change? Nahhh ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Fueled by near-record warm ocean water and favorable atmospheric conditions, Hurricane Patricia has become the strongest hurricane ever measured — period — with maximum sustained winds at an astonishing 200 miles per hour.

The storm will make landfall later Friday in a populated part of Mexico's Pacific coast, potentially wiping out tourist resorts and anything else in its path between Puerto Vallarta and Manzanillo. The storm may strengthen or weaken some before it strikes land, but it is likely to still be a Category 5 storm at landfall, which could bring a catastrophic combination of storm surge flooding, high winds and flooding rains.

Hurricane Patricia, strongest hurricane ever seen, heads toward Mexico

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

But it is cold in New York.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Only liberals get to use one weather event as evidence of their position.

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Interesting paragraph/quote in the linked article:

So there you have it ... the climate-change deniers have infiltrated the hallowed halls of academia. What other explanation could there be?

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Bring back the agrarian economy!

7. doctorquant

I need to do a bit of the google and see how much money the Koch bros. give to MIT.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Nobody at MIT gets koch

cyclingwriter2 and Vombatus like this.
  9. doctorquant

I have fairly extensive ties to a similar institution (Ga. Tech). Both my dissertation chair (a she) and, later, a woman whose dissertation I chaired were undergrad alums from there. And each frequently joked that, as re: dating prospects, at Ga. Tech women encounter a situation in which "the odds are good but the goods are odd."

OscarMadison and SpeedTchr like this.
  10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's stunning how the frequency of mega-storms has increased since Katrina due to global warming.

Mr. Sunshine and Dick Whitman like this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I bet this storm is strong enough to roar through Mexico, travel north across the border and stay together long enough to break the drought in California. Thus once again proving that Mexican storms are just doing the jobs that American storms don't want to do.

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

That's an old joke at all science and technology heavy universities. And still funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted