1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

3 Million Pearls of Wisdom

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Captain_Kirk, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

So, sometime this week we will likely cross the 3,000,000 post mark on the site, at least this incarnation, going back to the famously remembered passing of Moe Drabowsky in June of 2006. Perhaps ol’ Moe get a special recognition as the patron saint of sj.com.

3 million pearls of wisdom. Ok, maybe 2 million and a million in flame wars. Ok, maybe it’s a million pearls…..

Almost a full decade of intellectual broadening nuggets, attempts at humor, good and bad, opines on the sports news of the day, oh and some job related stuff for the boys and girls in the industry trenches, which became a smaller and smaller number as each day and month passed.
    That’s an impressive almost 900 posts per day over that timeframe or what mike311gd would have called a Tuesday back in the day.

I’ve also figured that at my current posting rate, I should pass Mizzougrad’s current post leading number in around 2075. When I will be 112. And still opining on the music of the 70s. The 1970s.

And of course, all this doesn’t include the countless number of posts in the iterations previous to this one, when the site was more populated and the posting frequency more frantic, and much more of a 24/7 operation, with the heavily vocal, opinionated, and sometimes (ok, many times) post work intoxicated.

For those who might want a glance at the days gone by, here’s a site where you can access some of the prior iterations. The more recent 2003-05 timeframe show some of the threads in play at the time, but I don’t think you can get to the posts. One that caught my eye was “TV Anchor in Wet T-Shirt Contest”. And if you go back as far as you can, you get a look at the ominously black sportspages.com forum.

Internet Archive Wayback Machine

So, who will be the site’s Bob Watson times 3? And then, on to 4 mil.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

For those of us still in "the biz," the scary thought is how much better off we were, job-wise, in 2006.

On the other hand ... I've enjoyed countless books, movies and new music thanks to some of the recommendations of SJ.com members. So I'm glad to have contributed to, and benefitted from, some of those 3 million posts.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I learned a lot when I joined since I was a TV guy that had gotten a job in newspaper and then went back to TV before being thrust into newspaper in 2006 suddenly again.
    And I haven't left since.
    I have gotten to meet a few of the SJ creatures. So that was cool.
    I've gotten some cool Secret Santa presents also.
    Hell, I'm practically banned right now...but still find a way in. (hehe)

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

OK. Not sure if this is the time or the place, but for post 3,000,00o I say bring back JDV.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If I'm looking at the right numbers, we're at something like 3 million and 700 now. So we passed the odometer.

It'd be funny if the 3 millionth post was "This"

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Nice. I'm hoping you double quoted to speed up the return of JDV. Also bring back Boom.

7. Baron Scicluna

Nope, just an accident. But I'm fine with them coming back.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Happy 3 Million SJ.com.
    [​IMG]

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

What are the top three news stories as far as the number of thread pages generated? I'm guessing Paterno, MLB steroids and Tiger Woods/fire hydrant have a chance to be up there.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Looks like you hit on 2 out of 3: Penn State and Tiger.

The other one that has the most posts around a single event is Sandy Hook.

11. Baron Scicluna

The "Dear Dimwit on the Phone" thread is up to around 500 pages and still going strong.

12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Seconded.

Draft saved Draft deleted