1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jackson Clarion-Ledger stops covering Jackson State

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

School has not allowed access to players or assistant coaches for the last three weeks, since former head coach Harold Jackson was fired. So the paper is stopping the day-to-day coverage of the in-town school:

Clarion-Ledger halts beat coverage of JSU sports

This is strange. Normally, schools of JSU's size are begging for any coverage can get.

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Good for the paper. Idiotic of the school. Time to start bombarding the university with FOIAs to figure out what's really going on. I do feel bad for Antonio, though. I met him this summer at APSE and he was stoked for his new gig covering JSU.

SFIND likes this.
  3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Good for the paper? Wait a second.

Shouldn't the more professional and responsible approach by the paper have been to contact the athletic director and set up a meeting to try to rectify the situation first? It comes across as a knee-jerk reaction to just pull your coverage because you're not getting what you want after three weeks without at least having attempted better communication to the parties running the athletic department. It's as if the sports editor just got pissed off and said "fuck'em" instead of doing his job, which part of is to help bridge any gaps between the paper and the program.

Now, if the paper had already made this attempt and been refused access, fine. But that's not how it happened. Looks like two crybabies in a pissing match to me.

4. Matt Stephens

According to the editorial, the paper has tried to setup a meeting for three weeks with no success.

5. Doc Holliday

That's not in the story I read. If so, they have every reason to shut her down.

6. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Does Jackson State need the coverage?

7. Matt Stephens

Reporter has tried for three weeks. Sounds like SE stepped in today. You could say the SE should have earlier (and maybe he has) but it seems like a process they've been going through and finally got fed up.

CL Statement on JSU coverage decision

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

9. Doc Holliday

I did say the sports editor should have attempted communication earlier. That's what management does in situations like these. I'm not a fucking dumbass.

10. Doc Holliday

jr/shotglass,

Monday was the same damn day the paper pulled its coverage as the same day they requested a meeting. Did you not read the fucking story? Or do you not comprehend it? The Sports Editor clearly got pissy when his reporter came back with nothing on Monday so he fired off a pissed off email and canned the coverage. That is NOT how you handle this situation professionally. If you're a titty baby, sure, by all means.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  11. Matt Stephens

Inside voices. Relax. My point was, as the editorial states, this wasn't the first time the paper tried to setup a meeting. Antonio has been doing that for three weeks with the interim AD. No success.

12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Shouldn't have been anything more than a small note. The whiny quotes from the paper's editors are too much.

Draft saved Draft deleted