1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago boy, 6, accidentally shoots, kills brother, 3

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Jeez. Stories like this, coupled with the fact that my 3-year-old (much like my dogs) manages to get into shit I would have never guessed he'd get into, are reasons I won't own a gun. Why risk it?

3. Dick Whitman

To protect yourself against the upcoming imposition of martial law by the Obama administration.

4. Dick Whitman

Kids love guns. Boys in particular seem to love guns. We don't own a gun. My son has never seen a real gun. We sternly warn against guns. But he still will run around pretending to shoot laser guns or missiles or anything appropriate for the scenario he has dreamt up.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Because freedom.

schiezainc likes this.
  6. bigpern23

It's funny how it nearly seems innate. We don't own any guns, we haven't even given him any toy guns, or even action figures that have guns. My sister gave him a "How to Train Your Dragon" toy set that included a missile launcher accessory (which wasn't even in the movie) and I took the projectile parts before he ever played with it, so he didn't even know that function exists. Yet, he will point a stick at me and say (in his adorably high-pitched voice), "Pew, pew, pew! I gotcha!", unmistakably mimicking a gun.

I figure it's something he's picked up at day care (TV seems like a possible culprit, but he doesn't watch much, if any, network TV, and I can't think of many examples of guns being used in the Pixar movies that he likes).

When I was a kid, we would "play guns," which was basically manhunt or hide and seek, but you would point your gun at the other kid, make a shooting noise and yell, "I got you, Charlie!" or whatever. When we got toy guns that were painted orange or neon green, we would paint them all black or camouflage to make them more realistic looking. Later, we began playing laser tag. Gun toys were a pretty significant part of my playing when I was kid.

To this day, I like guns - in theory. I've enjoyed shooting them at a range a few times when I was in my 20s. But as a dad, I can't wrap my head around keeping one in the house. I get nervous with my kid walking down the stairs. Keeping a gun and risking him finding it? No thanks.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Are you a former gang member who testified in a murder trial, and couldn't afford to move out of your gang infested neighborhood?

8. bigpern23

No, I'm not.

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

How does a six year old get a gun off the top of a refrigerator? And does a six year have the strength to hold a loaded gun and pull the trigger?

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

6 year olds to have the ability to climb.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Kind of different situation than the father in this story then.

Draft saved Draft deleted