1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best game story writers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackReacher, Oct 15, 2015.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I posted the two stories below on the MLB Playoffs thread, but it got me thinking: Who are your favorite game story writers? Here in DC, Adam Kilgore and Barry Svrluga are remarkable at their jobs. But I feel like there are so many more that I never read. So, whose deadline work do you guys enjoy reading the most and why?

Bautista delivers a bat flip for the ages, and the Blue Jays move on to ALCS

Epic Blue Jays–Rangers seventh inning will be talked about for years: Arthur | Toronto Star

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm a little biased because my byline used to appear in the same section, but Marc Topkin in St. Pete has been great forever. The Rays were very bad for a very long time, yet his gamers were always interesting. To me, that's the true test of a deadline writer.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I hear you. It was like that when Chico Harlan of the Post covered the Nats when they were losing 100 games every year. His gamers were the best part of those seasons.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Great thread idea, thanks.

5. Keith Shelton

Keith Shelton New Member

I've always thought the Detroit Free Press has had outstanding columnists and recap writers. Mitch Albom, Drew Sharp, Michael Rosenberg (before he went to SI), Helene St. James, Jeff Seidell — that section is outstanding.

6. Potter

Potter Member

Kilgore is great, yes. Also Andy McCullough for the KC Star.

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Mitch is especially good when writing about what happened at an event in advance of it taking place.

cjericho and Fly like this.
  8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Vahe Gregorian, when he was at at the Post-Dispatch.

9. Anonymous135

Anonymous135 Member

10. Florida_Man

Florida_Man Member

11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted