1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are Asian-Americans so successful in America?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 19, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Lot's of people are talking about Nick Kristof's recent article:

THIS is an awkward question, but here goes: Why are Asian-Americans so successful in America?

It’s no secret that Asian-Americans are disproportionately stars in American schools, and even in American society as a whole. Census data show that Americans of Asian heritage earn more than other groups, including whites. Asian-Americans also have higher educational attainment than any other group.

I wrote a series of columns last year, “When Whites Just Don’t Get It,” about racial inequity, and one of the most common responses from angry whites was along these lines: This stuff about white privilege is nonsense, and if blacks lag, the reason lies in the black community itself. Just look at Asian-Americans. Those Koreans and Chinese make it in America because they work hard. All people can succeed here if they just stop whining and start working.

Let’s confront the argument head-on. Does the success of Asian-Americans suggest that the age of discrimination is behind us?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/11/opinion/sunday/the-asian-advantage.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

When did we enslave them?

Other than that, totally the same.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

We didn't enslave them, but we did "evacuate" them, lock them up and try to deport all of them, even the American citizens, based on little else than racially motivated hysteria.

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

First of all are Asian-Americans more successful? Off the top of my head I would doubt that the incomes of Laotian-Americans are particularly high on average. And do Filipinos have high average incomes? I don't know.

The economic success of an immigrant group is related to the educational attainments of the immigrant population. I think the average educational level of a Chinese immigrant is a lot higher than of a Laotian. I bet a much higher percentage of Chinese and Korean immigrants came in as graduate students or on special work visas.

5. YankeeFan

Well, they outperform whites too, so something about what they do is working.

I think some say the "Tiger Mom" experience is too tough on kids, and not worth it. But, if you reject a path to success, that's a choice. It may be the right choice for you, or your kids, but then you probably shouldn't blame the unfairness of the system for your place in life.

6. YankeeFan

Maybe he should have said "Chinese-Americans"(though I think Korean-Americans would have similar numbers):

And let’s just get one notion out of the way: The difference does not seem to be driven by differences in intelligence.

Richard Nisbett, a professor of psychology who has written an excellent book about intelligence, cites a study that followed a pool of Chinese-American children and a pool of white children into adulthood. The two groups started out with the same scores on I.Q. tests, but in the end 55 percent of the Asian-Americans entered high-status occupations, compared with one-third of the whites. To succeed as a manager, whites needed an I.Q. of 100, while Chinese-Americans needed an I.Q. of only 93.

So the Asian advantage, Nisbett argues, isn’t intellectual firepower as such, but how it is harnessed.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

He moved to Oak Ridge Tennessee in 1973 to attend high school. Was his dad a scientist?

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

His parents didn't immigrate with him. He stayed with a brother in Oak Ridge, who was working as a scientist. His dad was a legislator and a historian.

Easy assumption to make, though. Since so many kids' dads when I grew up there were scientists.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm not exactly a "Tiger Dad" (and also not Asian), but we set damned high expectations in our house, and so far it seems to be working, though it's very early. It's a tough balance to strike because you also hear about kids cracking under the intense academic pressure. I see how we stack up educationally as a nation, though. And I see studies confirming the lack of skills held by American workers. I guess I choose to err on the tiger side.

It's funny because my wife's a teacher, and she's the one telling me sometimes to lay off the gas. But with all due respect to her, like most here, I've competed academically in fields a little tougher than elementary education. You have to be ready, and most public schools in America, geared toward the vast middle, don't get you there.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Slanty eyes allow them to read more without straining.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Chris Long will tell you they aren't successful drivers.

SnarkShark and SpeedTchr like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted