1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Catholic hospital denies pregnant woman possible life-saving tubal ligation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Pregnant woman about to give birth to her fourth child by C-section suffers from disorders that give her benign brain tumors that can lead to other medical issues. Her doctor advised her to have her tubes tied when she has her C-section, as another pregnancy could harm her. Only, the Catholic hospital is refusing, saying that it is "evil", even though they have done others. She's filed a complaint with the ACLU

Catholic Hospital Under Fire for Denying Life-Saving Treatment to Pregnant Woman

Yup. Religious freedom.

2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Tubal ligation in this case is not a life-saving procedure. The patient has options after she gives birth. Don't see any issue with licensing since this isn't about emergency care. You may not like it, but religious organizations do have protections in this country.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

It's dumb that the hospital won't provide the surgery, but she could also, you know, go to another hospital in the greater Detroit area.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

My religion believes black people are black because they were marked by Satan for their sin. I'm a doctor who practices this religion, and refuses to treat a black person because of that belief.

My religion believes that Jews killed my Savior and, as a result, Jews don't receive medical treatment at my hospital.

My religion believes women are property and have no rights. The husband brings in his wife and asks me to remove her tongue for it has been wicked. I remove her tongue as the husband asked.

My religion believes fertilized eggs to be human life. A woman asks for a medical procedure that would end her ability to have fertilized eggs. I refuse because of my religious beliefs.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

6. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Can you still get shrimp on Saturdays in a Catholic hospital cafeteria?

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Only as the vegetarian option.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  8. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

By refusing the tubal ligation the hospital is actually increasing the chance the woman could get pregnant in the future and then an abortion would be medically necessary.
    Great thinking guys. And you can be pretty much totally certain it was "guys" who made the decision.

10. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I think the problem is not, per se, with Catholic hospitals operating in a manner to deny services deemed inconsistent with Catholicism, but that with hospital mergers, a large and growing number of hospitals are operated as Catholic hospitals. In some areas of the country it may be difficult or burdensome to get care at a hospital that isn't church affiliated.

I'm guessing that most often when a woman is given medical advice by her doctor and she is going to be admitted to a hospital to which the doctor has privileges, it doesn't occur to her that the hospital can override her doctor's advice because of the hospital's religious affiliation. It's not something I've ever thought about or heard anyone else bring up. I don't know if in all cases of hospital mergers it's obvious that a hospital is now operated as a Catholic hospital.

Nor is this an issue limited to women's reproductive health. On similar religious grounds, a Catholic hospital can refuse to recognize end of life directives.

11. Baron Scicluna

What about those who live in remote areas who only have a Catholic hospital near them?

12. Baron Scicluna

Well, then she shouldn't get pregnant then. And she can do that by ... never having sex again. Especially since using birth control is also considered evil.

Draft saved Draft deleted