1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anti-Rape Activist Resigns After Raping Somebody

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 17, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

As the Daily Mail points out Annie Teriba had previously accused other students of promoting 'rape culture'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3272018/Oxford-gay-rights-activist-steps-admitting-drunken-sex-without-consent.html

A prominent student activist from Oxford University is resigning from her political posts and campaigns after admitting she failed to obtain full consent before having sex at a conference earlier this year.

Annie Teriba, a third-year student at Wadham college, was the editor of No Heterox** – described as a zine for queer and trans voices – as well as a racial equality officer and member of both the National Campaign Against Fees and Cuts committee and the NUS’s black students’ committee, according to the independent Oxford University newspaper Cherwell.

Teriba reportedly made the admission in a statement posted on her Facebook profile, which has since been deleted. She said she began a physical relationship with someone at the NUS black students’ conference in May, but was later told by the other person that the sex had not been consensual.

Teriba wrote: “This statement explains why I will be stepping down from political campaigning from now.

“At this year’s NUS black students’ conference, I had sex with someone. The other party later informed me that the sex was not consensual. I failed to properly establish consent before every act. I apologise sincerely and profoundly for my actions.

“I should have taken sufficient steps to ensure that everything I did was consensual. I should have been more attentive to the person’s body language. In failing to clarify that the person consented to our entire encounter, I have caused serious irreparable harm.”

Teriba also revealed that a similar incident occurred while she was under the influence of alcohol in a club in her first year of university, when she “touched somebody in a sexual manner without their consent”.

Oxford student activist resigns from posts over non-consensual sex

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I'd like to meet her.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't think you're her type.

Vombatus likes this.
  4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Something tells me he'd try anyway.

Vombatus likes this.
  5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Damn straight. Convert her!

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

No that's what she'd be calling you.

7. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Waiting for the claim that she was raised a white man.

Vombatus likes this.
  8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Are there any pro-rape activists?

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Fraternities

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I love that there's a trigger warning on her resignation statement.

YankeeFan likes this.
  11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

If she never eats something that ain't cooked this never happens.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Wow, that's an exceptional level of self-loathing.

Draft saved Draft deleted