1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspaper actually makes money

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MisterCreosote, Oct 15, 2015.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, once Moddy and his seven-figure salary came off the books, I guess they had a chance. ;)

dixiehack, Frank_Ridgeway and HC like this.
  3. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

That link is to The Washington Times itself, so I'd want to see the books. Also, I didn't see any references to all the debt obligations being paid. It's hard to be truly profitable when one still owes one's soul to the company store -- or the bank.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Profitability (if it is an honest accounting) would imply that revenues exceed obligations -- the obligations would include debt service.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The CEO glibly joked about how "the owners can’t wait for us to pay them back."

Yeah. I'll bet.

6. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Congrats on making a profit, which is a feat the vast majority of newspapers managed to do during the past 30 years.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

A Gannett paper would announce this, followed by, "Thanks to this success, we'll only have to lay off 5 percent of our staff instead of 10 percent. Good job, everyone! Everything is indeed awesome!"

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

In point of fact, for many newspapers - even now - the issue is not profitability but rather profit margin.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Once again, are these papers servicing debt?

It's all well and good if you have $180 million in revenue and $165 million in expenses. But if those expenses don't include the debt service on your $1.2 billion loan, you're still in a world of hurt.

Draft saved Draft deleted