1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Longtime MLB employee: Baseball 'dying' is a 'tired, misinformed' statement

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Baseball's biggest problems are that it is not as suited for TV compared with the NFL and basketball.

It also is a state geek's dream but not so much for Fantasy sports players.

But at least the athletes aren't bashing their brain to mush while competing.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Nope. They're just shriveling their balls to acorns due to injecting.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Baseball's main problem is easily fixed. The games are too damn long and often end past midnight on the East Coast. I hear noise about putting pitchers on the clock and never see it enforced.

RubberSoul1979 likes this.
  5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I keep hearing about baseballs problems. It's never been healthier.

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Doesn't mean it's perfect.

7. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

If baseball was so popular, it wouldn't...
    - Watch its postseason migrate into television obscurity (From NBC/ABC to, CBS [which dumped it after losing millions], to ESPN, to ABC Family, to TBS).
    - See its marquee star power shrink. Of the country's 10 most famous pro athletes, how many are baseball players?
    - Let the game disappear from the African-American community. Watch videos of the last time the Royals and Blue Jays played in the playoffs. Are there that many American-born blacks in the entire American League now? Who aren't sons of former Major League players?

I know in various markets, the game is thriving and enjoying record attendance. The local (regional sports network) coverage is superb, better than anything that's come before. But these are serious questions that any MLB exec should address before unloading some arrogant response.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

We should all have baseball's financial problems.

RubberSoul1979 likes this.
  9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Football players are doing that, too.

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

If the concussion issue ruins football, hockey and soccer -- it could really help baseball. No sport stands to gain more.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If daily fantasy survives its self-inflicted wounds, it could give baseball a big boost. Those players crave action and they're the only dealer around for much of the calendar.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I don't disagree but oddball channel arrangements are also true for NCAA tournament basketball and at least WTBS has some baseball broadcasting tradition unlike, say, TruTV.

Draft saved Draft deleted