1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aunt sues nephew, 12, for six figures over broken wrist

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Seriously, I sometimes ask myself if this world in which I live is real.

From the story:

Her lawsuit claims his “negligent” and “careless” show of affection caused her serious injuries and losses, noting “I was at a party recently and it was difficult to hold my hors d’oeuvres plate.”

http://gawker.com/manhattan-woman-sues-12-year-old-nephew-for-breaking-he-1736230311

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I would imagine the family's insurance will cover this and both families will make out ok.

3. I could totally see my sister doing this.

Sports Guy likes this.
  4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that they figured out that it falls under the homeowner's policy.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hors d’oeuvres? She's lucky she doesn't live in the Midwest and have to carry casseroles to potluck dinners.

On the positive side, guess she won't be getting any more exuberent hugs!

Sports Guy likes this.
  6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

The dear auntie is probably just trying to take the kid's mind off of dwelling on the fact that his mother died last year.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The kid needs to be a better technician at giving hugs.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is ultimate justice to me. I love when things work out as they should.

1) The jury told her to piss off.
    2) The woman not only didn't see any money, the story blew up negatively on her and she is now infamous.

HC likes this.
  10. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

What am I missing here? Almost nothing about this story makes sense to me.

This woman has to have at least a sliver of awareness of how the world operates in 2015. Even when she filed the lawsuit a few years ago, she just HAD to know she was in for an absolute shitstorm both on social media and, really, in the jury room. There's just no way on Earth that a jury of any size would ever side with an woman suing her now-motherless nephew for $127K because he hugged her too exuberantly. And this was no spur-of-the-moment decision -- the lawsuit was filed years ago and she could have aborted it at any moment, yet she was apparently confident enough in it to let it go to trial.

So what's the point, exactly? What did she hope to get out of it? A chunk of the kid's inheritance from his dead mother? Was this simply a procedural step toward collecting a payout from the kid's dad's homeowner's insurance policy? None of that was ever made clear.

If this was as superficial and simple as it's been portrayed in every news story I've read about this, she's not only one of the worst human beings on the face of the earth, she's also a fucking tone-deaf idiot.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

She must be a Lupica.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Draft saved Draft deleted