1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

California Bans Smokeless Tobacco at MLB Stadiums

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am very anti-smoking -- because of the risk that your behavior might have secondary effects on others. You are infringing on others with your smoke. I personally hate being around people who are smoking and I find second-hand smoke disgusting.

I also think anyone who uses any tobacco isn't very smart -- my opinion.

But this kind of law is ridiculous. If someone wants to chew tobacco -- as dumb as I, or anyone else, thinks it is -- it has zero residual health effect on anyone except the person doing it. It's not my, or anyone else's place to make that kind of decision for others. If someone gets some kind of utility out of using tobacco that exceeds (for them) the risk they are taking. ... well, that is for them to decide. To each his own.

I believe that laws should only prevent people from doing things that potentially infringe negatively on others. To me, this idea that we are going to protect people from their own decisions crosses a line of silliness -- and actually impinges on people's freedoms.

cranberry and bigpern23 like this.
  3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

You ever been in a dugout where a bunch of heavy chewers have been spitting on the fucking floor for six hours? It's fucking disgusting.

In the olden olden days of baseball guys used to piss in the corners of the dugout, too.

We put an end to that and everybody lived.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

And the same people behind this dumbfuckery think marijuana should be legal.

expendable and Batman like this.
  5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

"Stupid is as California does, Mrs. Blue ..."

old_tony likes this.
  6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Might be disgusting, but it's also what baseball players do. Something they're known for, and have pretty much always done--at nearly ever level above the kiddie leagues--ever since the game's been around. What's next, banning beer from Mardis Gras?

Pissing in the dugout used to be a commonplace thing? I did not know that. By any chance do you have a link to back this up?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Marijuana should be legal. And so should chewing by adult baseball players. Both stupid restrictions, at least IMO.

JC likes this.
  8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. This is absurd. If MLB wants to come to agreement with its player's union outlawing smokeless tobacco in the dugout because of the negative health effects on its players and the message it sends to its fans, that's up to them. The state of California has no business outlawing it. I also don't understand why the state specifically bans it at baseball games and nowhere else.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Sunflower seeds are damn near as bad.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is completely a THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!! law.

11. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Yet you are the ultimate pussy that thinks Chase Utley should be suspended for doing what baseball players have done for over 100 years. That being said I agree with you on this one (tobacco, not pot).

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yet these fucks would be perfectly fine with their kids smoking pot.

expendable and old_tony like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted