1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rose McGowan "Hijacks" Bipartisan Political Gala

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 11, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If you're going to have a public meltdown, why would you have it at a "No Labels" dinner?

Outspoken actress Rose McGowan "hijacked" a DC political gala aimed at fostering bipartisanism on Sunday, giving an impromptu speech and slamming the attendees who were mostly out-of-touch "old privileged white men."

McGowan was attending the No Labels event, an organization that seeks to bridge the divide between Democrats and Republicans, as a guest but, according to her Twitter feed, she planned to disrupt proceedings with a statement attacking the lack of diversity of those attending and slamming them for voting against "equal pay woman", "against gay marriage" and voting "against their constituents best interests."

CNN political reporter Sara Murray was also at the event, and described on Twitter how McGowan stood up, said her piece and then "stormed out". Murray later said there was awkwardness all round and that "the organizers did not look pleased."

Rose McGowan "Hijacks" Bipartisan Political Gala

I hijacked a Republican & Democratic gala tonight. I fought back. After two hours of listening to old privileged white men discuss what Americans want without being integrated with any America that I know. These men, who VOTED DOWN EQUAL PAY FOR WOMEN, who VOTED AGAINST GAY MARRIAGE, and VOTED AGAINST THEIR CONSTITUENT'S BEST INTERESTS, we're so comfortable phoning in these pandering, masturbatory speeches- I knew I had to act. So I stepped the fuck up. After years of volunteering for candidates, and stumping for those who aren't standing for me... I took back my power. My power is my voice. Tonight I used my voice. My heart was racing, but I did it anyway. And I walked out with my fist held high.

The scene: At the end of a long night of listening to Joe Lieberman and Senator Lindsey Graham, and then about twenty other Uber white one percenter politicians, they decided to have the "celebrities" in the crowd stand up. We were the last people who had to be clapped for, it was out the door for these egos right after my asinine turn to be on display. I held my hand up straight in the air and REFUSED to put it down until I could speak. They weren't calling on me, but I think it may have been ex-senator Evan Bayh who said to let me speak. It may have been. I don't know, all the blood was rushing to my face and my heart was so loud in my ears. But I spoke. Oh boy did I speak.

Fuck. I went hard. Needless to say I have been DISinvited from the political hoopla happening tomorrow.

I had to.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Still a 6

Now....TOGTFO

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'd probably be upset (not really) if I knew who Rose McGowen is.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

The revolution is coming!

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

No labels, more like no constituency. Bunch of Ds and Rs who cashed out to rake it in on K Street. They didn't do anything about it when they had serious juice on the hill (being willing to cross party lines). Hard to believe they will get anything done where they're at now.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

More famous than Ben Carson!

7. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Her first 30 seconds didn't sound too ranty but....

You let crazy in the room, crazy is going to trash your tv, do its touchdown dance and generally make itself at home.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Was Shannen Doherty not available?

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

What I find most admirable is how she refuses to pat herself on the back.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I had to google to remind myself. I notice there are several links where she's now ranting about Hollywood sexism, hating "being sexualized" and actresses feeling the need to present themselves in a sexualized manner ...yet there also links of her appearing at events dressed like this (NSFW warning). Anyone see a contradiction there?

My primary takeaway: Rose McGowan really likes attention ...and herself.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I had no idea she wasn't still dating or married to Marilyn Manson. I guess I haven't kept up on my celebrity gossip the past 13 or 14 years.

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Stay away from my shtick!

;)

Draft saved Draft deleted