1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 158 families pouring half the money into the 2016 election

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This is clever journalism.

These donors’ fortunes reflect the shifting composition of the country’s economic elite. Relatively few work in the traditional ranks of corporate America, or hail from dynasties of inherited wealth. Most built their own businesses, parlaying talent and an appetite for risk into huge wealth: They founded hedge funds in New York, bought up undervalued oil leases in Texas, made blockbusters in Hollywood. More than a dozen of the elite donors were born outside the United States, immigrating from countries like Cuba, the old Soviet Union, Pakistan, India and Israel.

But regardless of industry, the families investing the most in presidential politics overwhelmingly lean right, contributing tens of millions of dollars to support Republican candidates who have pledged to pare regulations; cut taxes on income, capital gains and inheritances; and shrink entitlements. While such measures would help protect their own wealth, the donors describe their embrace of them more broadly, as the surest means of promoting economic growth and preserving a system that would allow others to prosper, too.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

While such measures would help protect their own wealth, the donors describe their embrace of them more broadly, as the surest means of promoting economic growth and preserving a system that would allow others to prosper, too.

Oh, that's rich. We can help them prosper by paying ourselves tens of millions a year, by sheltering eve more of our income from taxes that pay for roads and schools, by outsourcing jobs, by busting public-employee unions, by cutting wages and by eliminating the governmental safety nets the working poor so often need. Trickle down, yee-ha!

BDC99 likes this.
  3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I'm never going to be rich, so I see no reason anyone else should be.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You don't get it. At all.

I've metioned this before, but we know a couple who own two island homes (one in Orange Park, Fla., the other in Seattle). Husband is a scrap metal magnate. They're worth millions. Yet they pay no income taxes, have no health insurance (they apply for charity from hospitals to deal with wife's severe asthma and other issues) and even were able to receive Welfare because the husband (a former lawyer) was able to show millions in "business losses".

THAT is our system.

THAT is what has many people upset.

THAT is what should have you upset. Instead of worrying about the single mom who got $50 this month in food stamps "stealing" that money from the wealthy.

Stoney likes this.
  6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

So, at present, about 6.5% of the amount spent in the 2012 presidential election has been raised. Half of that has come from a relatively small number of people who lean toward a party that has had as many as, what, 16 potential nominees? Sixteen candidates vying to run against another candidate who's been her party's presumptive nominee since, when, forever?

Call me stunned*.

*Not.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This is fucking absurd. I can't even pay my bills anymore, while the publisher is making $2 million a year. If only I had the proper work ethic to thrive in a job I've thrived in for 18 years.

This.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Paying taxes is going to make someone who has billions start clipping coupons?

And these people would probably be offended if all you thought of their wealth was they were rich.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Substitute "rich" for "poor" and you'll see how stupid your statement is.

BDC99 likes this.
  10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Don't be jealous, man! :rolleyes:

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Class envy! Class warfare!

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

You think not wanting people to be poor is stupid?

Draft saved Draft deleted