1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass shooting on campus in Oregon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Oct 1, 2015.

1. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

There's no problem requiring background checks on purchase, if the government can actually make the system work. I don't have much confidence that they can based on past experience, but if they can, no one should be too upset. Part of that process is ensuring mental illness is included in the check, however that could be achieved.

I would also be just fine with banning internet sales of firearms. It's not an imposition to require face-to-face sales. I would take it even one step further and require all sales to come from licensed dealers. No more private sales. I can't sell the booze I make at my mountain cabin, or the cigs I roll in my sweatshop... ummm, you get the point.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Ding ding ding! But how common is it to purchase a gun via the Internet? I didn't even know that was possible. As for the mental aspect, I would hope there would be a way to come to a consensus (HA!) on what diagnoses would mean you couldn't purchase a gun. Depression? Autism? Bipolar? That is the tough part about that side of the argument.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Cocks not glocks: Dildos to replace guns at UT-Austin campus carry protest

AUSTIN - Hundreds of students at the University of Texas at Austin will protest a new law will allow more guns on campus not with signs or sit-ins, but by "strapping gigantic swinging dildos to our backpacks."

Their mantra? #CocksNotGlocks

Jessica Jin, who set up the "Campus (DILDO) Carry" event on Facebook, invokes the argument that allowing more guns on campus will make students safe is a fallacy. She's urging students to send campus leaders that message by strapping on the plastic phalluses.

"'You're carrying a gun to class? Yeah well I'm carrying a HUGE DILDO,'" Jin says in the group's description. "Just about as effective at protecting us from sociopathic shooters, but much safer for recreational play."

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

And written by a former sports writer.

5. Insight from Chico Harlan on Saslow's story.... Harlan is also another former sports writer, and for my money one of the best reporters/writers working.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That was an incredible read.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Just curious, but what is a 16-year-old doing taking classes at a community college?

8. That's not unusual. We have kids here that take college courses at the local community college. Many high schools offer dual credit courses at the high schools, but that also includes allowing kids to take courses at the college campus.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Didn't you once say you work in academia?

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Ah, OK, that's probably it. I think my kids' school had that option, too.

Oh, hell, I've never copped to working in academia.

But, let's supposed I did. What's your point?

11. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

12-year-olds can take community college classes in my neck of the woods.

Draft saved Draft deleted