1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bullying meme

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Occasionally, I see this meme on Facebook: bully.jpg

I guess there's something to be said for taking a contrarian point of view. After all, anybody can talk about how bad and wrong bullying is.
    But what's wrong with teaching people not to bully?
    Isn't this meme is saying kind of like saying, we'll always have murder, rape, theft, etc. so learn not to get killed, raped or have your stuff stolen? Don't bother passing laws against those things. We'll always have cancer so let's stop looking for a cure.
    Please don't waste your time telling me life is tough, as if I did not know that. I know it. You don't have to tell me. That still doesn't give anyone the right to make it tougher for someone else just for shits and giggles.
    There's nothing wrong with teaching kids to stand up for themselves. It's a good thing. But kids should also learn not to prey upon others just because they are weaker or different.
    Society needs to protect the weak from the ruthless.
    Am I wrong about this?

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

What kind of social media wormhole are you trapped in?

cjericho and YankeeFan like this.
  3. Smallpotatoes

You mean you've never seen anything like that?

4. Mr. Sunshine

5. Smallpotatoes

Maybe I need smarter friends.

6. Smallpotatoes

So is it as stupid and lacking of empathy as I think it is or does it make a valid point?

7. Mr. Sunshine

It's not pro-bullying. It's pro-stick up for yourself. Of course, there is no nuance on the Internet, so people will immediately take offense. Also, optics are important in conveying a message, especially when the wording is not clear. That particular image with that wording is a confusing combination. Basically, it's a poorly executed attempt at making a point.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Part of standing up for yourself is using legal remedies, when available, to fuck the perps over.

It's fine and dandy in Bootstrap Nation to tell kids to stand up for themselves, but in a lot of real bully situations what that will mainly get them will be a mouthful of bloody chiclets. It helps sometimes to have some legal ammunition to use against the assholes (and sometimes their parents).

And it's a real good thing to establish the premise that bullying is bullshit and sooner or later, the perps should pay.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    Baron Scicluna and Smallpotatoes like this.
  9. Smallpotatoes

You know me, too. You know how I don't care much for contrarian points of view.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Line breaks between paragraphs please!

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Also, pink ribbons are for breast cancer awareness. The fact that pro-bullying people attack that shows off their stupidity, to say nothing of their misogyny and asshole tendencies.

Donny in his element likes this.
  12. Smallpotatoes

I think the world would be better without contrarian opinions.

Draft saved Draft deleted