1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McCarthy drops out of Speaker's race

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Oct 8, 2015.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's pretty wild.

He obviously stuck his foot in his mouth, but the fact that he could blow this, short of an actual scandal, is pretty shocking.

He also just said he's going to remain as majority leader, which means no one else gets a promotion.

It's Paul Ryan's for the taking, and there will be pressure on him to take it. McCarthy obviously saw that the current alternatives to him were terrible. This gives others a shot at going for it.

Maybe we need a compromise candidate for now. Perhaps John Boehner?

LongTimeListener likes this.
  4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, did you say "compromise candidate" or "compromised candidate"?

old_tony and doctorquant like this.
  5. YankeeFan

Reiterates that he doesn't want it:

House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Paul Ryan (R-Wisc.) is the top choice of many GOPers to fill the speaker’s shoes. But he reiterated that he is not interested after McCarthy (R-Calif.) dropped out.

“Kevin McCarthy is best person to lead the House, and so I’m disappointed in this decision,” Ryan said in a statement. “Now it is important that we, as a Conference, take time to deliberate and seek new candidates for the speakership. While I am grateful for the encouragement I’ve received, I will not be a candidate. I continue to believe I can best serve the country and this conference as Chairman of the Ways and Means Committee.”

House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy drops out of race for House speaker

Which likely means that Boehner likelt does remain the speaker:

Amid speculation that an interim speaker might be selected, Rep Hal Rogers (R-Ky.), House Appropriations chairman, said he expects Boehner to stay on until a new speaker is chosen.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

That really seems to say something about the current state of the GOP if they can't pick a speaker.

7. YankeeFan

MSNBC is awesome.

So far, for commentary on this, they've gone to Chris Matthews, Rachel Maddow, Dem. Congressman from New Jersey, Frank Pallone, and now Dem. Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz.

8. YankeeFan

It gets better.

Brian Williams talks to Republican Congresswoman from Tennessee, Marsha Blackburn, and then goes to Barney Frank!

9. YankeeFan

Boehner cancels his appearance on Jimmy Fallon scheduled for tonight.

They had to be only a couple of hours from taping.

If Boehner hated the conservatives in his caucus before today, he must really hate them now. The guy can't even retire without them fucking it up for him.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

McCarthy boasted that he helped retake the majority in the House by getting people to run in 2010, probably the same people who are now causing the GOP headaches. It says something that he couldn't get the members to fall in line.

I will probably never vote GOP, but I am actually a little disappointed he's dropping out. He's a very likable guy and does a lot for his district.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Rep. David Brat (R-One Heckuva Last Name) goes off on MSNBC on his talking points of complaining about the media and how Americans are all upset because they care more about Syria and $19 trillion in debt and security and how they want Congress to do something.

Of course, he doesn't see the irony of his statement. Namely that his party is spending more time on abortion, Benghazi and Hillary's emails instead of the issues he listed. No wonder his party is such a mess.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That won't change if he's not Speaker.

Draft saved Draft deleted