1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indiana frat goes down for going down

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Oct 8, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Indiana University fraternity suspended; hazing investigation underway

Alpha Tau Omega national office closes the chapter after a video emerges of a pledge eating out a stripper in front of a raucous crowd, an activity neither the pledge nor the stripper appeared to be all that enthusiastic about.

The video is out there. NSFW in case you haven't figured that out.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Some great editorializing: "an activity neither the pledge nor the stripper appeared to be all that enthusiastic about."

Also, kudos on the thread title.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I thought ethnic themes -- like taco night -- weren't entirely verboten ...

JackReacher and LongTimeListener like this.
  4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I lived in the ATO house at Indiana some 20 years ago under a different fraternity, we got to rent the house for a year while ATO was on suspension for nearly killing a pledge. That episode, and others over the years, should have been more than enough to get them kicked off campus for good. This is nothing by comparison, but embarrassing videos trump all nowadays.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If he was more enthusiastic about it, she would have been as well.

BDC99 likes this.
  6. LongTimeListener

Sounds like they have a long and proud history. Other stories note that 100 of 120 members were suspended in 2010, though for some reason the chapter wasn't disbanded.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There's nothing there that indicates that they weren't enthusiastic about it, to me.

Was it a hazing ritual? Then of course they should be disbanded. If it's just an orgy? Eh.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

What if it was just an ironic statement on the history of sexual gender roles?

LongTimeListener likes this.
  9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

There has to be a mac 'n' cheese joke in here somewhere.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Without reading through the story, when I hear pledge, I'm thinking hazing ritual.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The Indy Star article says it wasn't a pledge.

12. LongTimeListener

Yeah it looks like that has been updated with the national chapter's statement.

It looks like some sort of ritual for sure. Guys on one side are naked and on the other side have clothes on. maybe they were acting out The DaVinci Code.

Draft saved Draft deleted