1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Gannett close to acquiring Milwaukee Journal Sentinel?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by old_tony, Oct 7, 2015.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

That means Gannett would own all the papers in Wisconsin, or most of them and also most of the papers in Tennessee as they would run up I-40 from Memphis to Knoxville with all points in between.
    The only large Tennessee paper that wouldn't be Gannett is Chattanooga.

3. spadjo martin

spadjo martin Member

Buyouts/layoffs sure to follow.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Some parts of the JS are bare bones. I know the copy jobs will likely go to the design hubs. Don't know much else.

Wow. Just wow.

6. old_tony

Thinking this through, since the JS might be one of the bigger Gannett papers, would they make Milwaukee one of their copy/design hubs?

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

AP reporting it's done, for $280 million.

The third through fifth grafs of the AP story are telling:

"Industry experts say the publications are a natural fit for Gannett's strategy of maximizing short-term profits through managing the decline of publications in less competitive markets.

Gannett's "prevailing strategy is economy of scale," which involves reducing local costs and consolidating or regionalizing many operations, analyst Ken Doctor said.

"Undoubltely, there will be some (layoffs) in any areas that can be centralized," including technology, newsrooms, human resources, finance and some advertising, he said."

8. spadjo martin

spadjo martin Member

What about duplication of beats within the different properties? Doubt they would let that happen.

9. old_tony

McGinn makes a lot of money compared to the rest of them. Laying him off probably saves as much as laying two or three others. Bob is one of my very favorite people in the business. I really fear this once-great property becoming a part of the Gannett Gestapo.

10. nickp

nickp Active Member

so goes another of Wisconsin's great newspapers gutted in time thanks to Gannett

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Figure the pro sports beats will be slashed in TN and WI as well.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Hey, on the bright side, Milwaukee and Memphis have a high percentage of African-Americans. Think of the mainstreaming possibilities!

Draft saved Draft deleted