1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

T.J. Simers' lawsuit against the Los Angeles Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Here is a story on T.J. Simers' lawsuit against the Los Angeles Times, T.J. Simers being cross-examined in LA Times suit

His yearly salaries at the Los Angeles Times ($234,000) and Orange County Register ($190,000) are mentioned at the end. I had previously heard his Times salary was higher than that.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Isn't there at least one thread on this already?

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I suspect at one point his Times salary was higher. I wonder how many of the featured sports columnists at at large, metro dailies who have been in the job for 10 years or more make as much as they did in 2005. I bet the answer is close to zero.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Lupica makes considerably less now.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The OCR salary is depressing the face of the buyouts/layoffs/meltdown that was happening there -- and that was before he was brought in. The Kushner Era might be the most disastrous at any newspaper of all time.

SnarkShark and ChrisLong like this.
  6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yeah, but part of me is glad it was attempted, only to quell any lingering thoughts that "If only we had maintained a robust staff and not cut everything to the bone, everything would have worked out."

7. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

Except the Kushner Plan consisted of throwing a bunch of people -- many of whom were in outdated/obsolete/useless positions -- at the problem. A well-laid plan probably would have failed, too, but that wasn't tested.

8. Long Snapper

Long Snapper New Member

I think Blaudschun put it best about Simers

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I hope Simers wins and wins big. Does age discrimination exist?? Does Fredrick have to answer his own question? How bout it, wink wink publishers and consultants? Keep offering those buyouts to the veterans; that's really helping your products, lol.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Gotta feel sorry for T.J. Simers, the only person in the history of print journalism to have ever lost his job.

Courthouse News Service

"The stress came from not working at the LA Times," she said. "He's a completely different person. He doesn't have any focus."
    She said that sometimes Simers does not shower and said conversations with her husband are "difficult" because he has nothing to talk about now that he no longer writes columns.
    "Why wouldn't you get up and take a shower and get going?" she said. "But he doesn't have anything to get going to."

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted