1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Xs and Os football writers - SaturdayDownSouth.com

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by @CWrightSDS, Oct 5, 2015.

1. @CWrightSDS

@CWrightSDS Member

Do you know football? Can you analyze and explain in detail key plays, matchups and trends that happen every Saturday in the SEC?
    If so, we want to hear from you.
    SaturdayDownSouth.com, the premier SEC football website, is recruiting talented writers with a proven ability to analyze Xs and Os through words, videos and graphics.
    Our analysts, who include former players, have a deep understanding of SEC offensive and defensive schemes and offer more than mere opinion when detailing what worked, what didn't during a specific play or game.
    If qualified and interested, please email a resume and links to 4 posts that demonstrate you belong on our team to Film Room Editor Chris Wright cwright@saturdaydownsouth.com.

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I'm assuming this is going to be on a freelance basis.

Also, did no one tell these guys about the Jimmys or the Joes?

3. JCT89

JCT89 Active Member

If by premier SEC football website you mean lazy content agg farm, sure.

4. Not any more. We've just hired editors from ESPN, Sports Illustrated, the Indianapolis Star, the Miami Herald and more. Chris Wright is one of those guys, and these positions are going to focus on serious, in-depth writing.

The opportunities aren't set in stone -- freelance or full-time, depending on experience and what will work best.

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Honest question here: Do you plan on ever staffing games or doing any reporting? Any goals to break news in the SEC?

I've browsed your site a few times and it is clear you are churning out a lot of content. But most, if not all, of that content is re-reporting and couch analysis (don't take that as an insult as I don't mean it as one and don't know any other way to phrase it). Lots of listicles, Twitter reactions, links to other news outlets and the aforementioned couch analysis.

It is interesting to me because you've definitely found the right market. People in the SEC will eat up content this time of year. I know because I am one. But so far the only original content I've seen is the analysis from people who you say are experts but, as far as I can tell, have the same view of the game as I do.

6. Yes, we do. It's a fight between the journalism folks and the business folks (where is it not?). But we've gained a lot of ground and hope to continue the fight. We're finally in a position to where we can realistically work toward all of the above.

Currently our reporting is limited to a few opportunities like SEC Media Days. But there are plans to staff games. We're already doing some more reporting, though it's admittedly in small quantities at this point. We'll continue doing some of the other stuff that grabs page views -- to pay the bills -- but the clear directive at this point (finally/thankfully) is to hire real journalists and start producing content that we can all be proud of, and across multiple platforms.

7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Respectable. Thanks for the response.

8. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Since you are presenting yourself as a reputable organization, do you follow through with respectable pay and benefits? Or should only single, recent college grads apply?

9. It depends on the position. Our pay is competitive across the board. But our breaking news positions are best suited for single, recent college grads. Our editor positions, as mentioned earlier in this thread, are for high-end journalists with lots of experience. Everything else is somewhere in the middle.

Essentially, though, we have some good resources to hire folks at this time. As long as a person is going to add value to the site and it's a smart business move, we can pay whatever it takes.

10. DeskMonkey1

Did you actually mention you are hiring editors? Or are you referring to the ones you recently hired?

I've always been intrigued by your sight just didn't know you were stepping things up, so to speak.

11. Our search for editors is ongoing, though I anticipate it may slow down now that we're steaming toward November. At least to me, it doesn't make as much sense to hire editors after a certain point in the season.

12. DeskMonkey1

So, what do your full-timers do in the offseason? You're football only, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted