1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 Baseball Hall of Fame Nominees

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The Pre-Integration Committee released their ballot today:

Doc Adams
    Sam Breadon
    Bill Dahlen
    Wes Ferrell
    Garry Herrmann
    Marty Marion
    Frank McCormick
    Harry Stovey
    Chris von der Ahe
    Bucky Walters

Dahlen had the most votes last time with 10. I assume he will get in this time. Breadon, Ferrell, Marion and Walters were also on the last ballot, getting no more than three votes. Tony Mullane and Al Reach were dropped from the last ballot. I don't get dropping Mullane but whatever.

I wish they would do away with this version of the committee and just alternate between Golden and Expansion Era. After putting in Dahlen, the player portion has been picked pretty clean -- if the five after Dahlen are the best to choose from, I'd rather focus on much more deserving guys from other eras.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't have much to add to this one. But my dad, who died 2 years ago, always talked about Marty Marion. He was one of his favorite players. I have no idea why Marty Marion was one of his favorite players -- my dad was nowhere near St. Louis, and he rooted for the Yankees and was surrounded by Brooklyn Dodgers and NY Giants fans. I think it has to do with the fact that my dad was a little kid just getting into baseball when Marion had his MVP year.

Marion was one of those guys who shined during the war years when talent around the league was really depleted -- and he won an MVP award. Still. ... his name belongs nowhere near the Hall of Fame.

3. Della9250

Marion's HOF case rests on just how good of a defender he was because his offensive numbers are putrid, even for that era. When he won his MVP he was like the fifth-best choice on his team.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Having read "Summer of Beer and Whiskey" I hope von der Ahe is selected.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Waste of time. Some of these guys have been dead so long that anyone who ever knew them (including their own grandkids) are probably dead too.

I think Marion is the only guy who lived into this century.

Dahlen and maybe Wes Ferrell deserve induction, but who is really served if they are voted in?

6. Della9250

If they are deserving, they should be in.

Before the last pre-integration vote, I thought Ruppert and O'Day were already in. This era has been picked clean to some extent. When a guy like Frank McCormick is considered one of the best additions to a 10-man ballot and a guy like Marion can't get knocked off then it might be time to do away with it.

I would love to know why someone like Mullane was taken off and McCormick was added over Bob Johnson, who has such a better case than McCormick it's criminal and played in the same era, or Sherry McGee.

To be fair, just based on fame for the players, I've heard of Ferrell, Stovey and Marion; wasn't familiar with McCormick or Walters and didn't know Dahlen before the last pre-integration vote.

As far as execs/owners, I'm whatever on them. The Hall has been bad on dealing with them from the start so if they think Breadon is worthy (and I do) and Hermann is not, then fine. The bios the Hall put out for them are mostly terrible in saying why they would be worthy. I mean if Doc Adams was such an integral force in the origins of baseball, wouldn't he have been put in early on?

7. Della9250

Here is the Ford Frick ballot. Apparently they couldn't find anyone who worked past the 60s:

Jack Graney
    Harry Heilmann
    Al Helfer
    France Laux
    Tom Manning
    Graham McNamee
    Rosey Rowswell
    Hal Totten
    Ty Tyson
    Bert Wilson

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

1860s or 1960s?

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Marty Marion is still a thing because of the Gashouse Gang mystique.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Marion wasn't part of the Gas House Gang, which was the 1934 Cardinals. Leo Durocher was the shortstop of that team.

But he does have that Certified Cardinals Legend thing going for him.

11. Della9250

True, but it also seems like the committee just looks at MVP winners who aren't in the Hall and puts them on the ballot. I fully expect Bob Elliott and Jake Daubert on the list in three years.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

There was a guy who used to call WFAN (think usually Steve Somers show) a lot and say Marion should be in the HOF, said he was as good as Reese and Rizzuto.

Draft saved Draft deleted