1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cocktails, Spirits and Mixology Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, May 15, 2012.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The Mount Gay you have makes an excellent rum and Coke. Soooo smooth. I never even let them put a lime in it because it's perfect as is. And you can get a 750ml bottle for $13.99 if you shop. The weekend before last I was with some friends in Door County. We spent a day bar-hopping. Because Mount Gay is huge in the sailing circles, most of the bars had it. I introduced Door County to the Mount Gay Old-Fashioned.

I'm betting that Ron Zacapa is a bit more expensive. If you want a really great rum experience, I have to recommend Mount Gay Extra Old. At times I'll just put one cube of ice in a glass and pour some over it and then sip it.

[​IMG]

2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Hopefully with the normalization of relations with Cuba this will be available to you, best I have had. I would bring back as much as I could fit in my bags and carry on. I had a relation in Florida who loved it so it made a rather circuitous route to get to her.

[​IMG]

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

It's a mint julep night.

6 mint leaves
    4 oz Makers
    2T simple syrup
    1TSP sugar
    Splash of water
    Crushed ice

Muddle three mint leaves in the sugar. Mix everything else and pour it over the muddle. Drank.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I have both and I never touch the Jim Beam. I use something called Journeyman Rye a lot, but I don't know how widely they distribute outside of Michigan-Indiana-Illinois. I mostly mix with rye and sip bourbon or Scotch.

A great bargain sipping bourbon is Elijsh Craig 22-Year.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Just wondering if you've had a chance to do something with the Mount Gay yet.

7. YankeeFan

Smoke & Spicy

[​IMG]

1½ oz. Mezcal
    ¾ oz. Ancho Chile Liqueur
    ¾ oz. Agave
    ½ oz. Lemon Juice
    6 Drops Chocolate Mole Bitters

Courtesy Salero Restaurant Chicago:

Dinner | SaleroChicago.com

8. YankeeFan

9. YankeeFan

10. YankeeFan

11. YankeeFan

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I have this same bottle. My brother got it for my for Christmas last year.

Draft saved Draft deleted