1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2015-16 NFL coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Oct 5, 2015.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

And we're off.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Midseason coaching changes are generally pretty pointless.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

These early-season changes are more fun anyway.

bigpern23 likes this.
  4. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

If Tomsula goes 1-15 or 2-14, do the 49ers give him the boot? Does his seat flare up to "fire me" levels as this season spirals out of control?

Great description of this in-over-his-head coach today, courtesy of Lowell Cohn (one of the best columnists out here).

"I see Tomsula I want to order a cut of meat. I see him behind the counter of a butcher shop wearing a white apron stained in red blood. He smiles when he sees me and says he has a deal on pork butt. He rubs his bloody hands on his apron and prepares the butt. He handles a game plan like a butcher handles meat. No finesse. Slam. Bang."

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

When a college program fires a coach during the season I get it. You can get a start on the search and hope you don't fall too far behind in recruiting. Do pro teams really think they are going to salvage anything by firing a coach in the middle of the season?

bigpern23 likes this.
  6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Unlike the other pro sports, there's almost no advantage to be gained with a midseason coaching change and, more often than not it actually hurts an already crappy team. NFL schemes are too complicated, and the personnel is usually to0 tailored to the scheme for a new coach to come in and have any meaningful success.

An NBA coach can come in at midseason, light a fire under his team, run some new offense and turn things around. If an NFL coach comes in and tries to put in a new offense in midseason, the team will more likely just nose dive even further.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Bet the Dolphins wish they thought of that in the Suck for Luck season.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Sure he's in over his head. The guy got promoted from defensive line coach to head coach. It didn't take Jed and Trent long to wreck this team.

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Gotta think Lovie is next up.

10. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Philbin was a below-average head coach, but the Dolphins' problems go far beyond him -- starting with the owner, who should've let Philbin at the end of last season but gave him a contract extension instead (after keeping Jeff Ireland around far too long as GM).

Campbell very well may wind up being in over his head, but I think he'll get that team to at least play with a bit more passion. It's a sad state of affairs when the most memorable hit by someone in a Dolphins uniform this season was Miko Grimes' head-butt of a Miami-Dade cop.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Agree with this. There is some talent on the team, and it seems like they were underperforming. They're 1-3, not 0-6, so they have a tiny chance to recover and make the playoffs, although I believe they have two games left with the Patriots, so good luck.

One thing I did find odd - When was the last time a tight end coach was promoted to head coach?

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Campbell sounds like Mike Tice. Good luck, Miami.

Draft saved Draft deleted