1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Salon: Islam gave women equal rights in 610 that our own United States haven’t given even in 2015

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 4, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

We have a long way to go to catch up with 7th Century Islam:

For example, far from Dr. Carson’s claim that in Islam women are subservient, Islam gave women equal rights in 610 that our own United States haven’t given even in 2015. To this day America has not passed the Equal Rights Amendment. Meanwhile the Quran 33:36 emphatically declares the equality of men and women:

“Surely, men who submit themselves to God and women who submit themselves to Him…God has prepared for all of them forgiveness and a great reward.”

Carson’s parents divorced when he was 8—a right American women didn’t have until the 19th century. Meanwhile, Islam was the first religion to give women the right to choose to marry or to divorce, the right to own property, to become secular or religious scholars, the right to inherit, or to run a business—all in the 7th century.

Ben Carson slanders Islam: Here’s exactly why his claims about Muslims are dead wrong

2. YankeeFan

Ayesha sounds great. I wish the author would tell me more about her, and how liberated she was:

Ayesha, wife of Muhammad, is recognized as one of the foremost legal scholars in Islamic history.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think you meant "Slate" instead of "Salon."

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Or not.

5. YankeeFan

Someday in the future, American women will be lucky enough to be treated this way:

A woman whose family branded her 'unclean' after she was gang-raped in her Syrian homeland has been found murdered in Germany – allegedly on the orders of her own mother.

Police believe the victim, named only as Rokstan M, 20, was stabbed to death by her father and brothers in the twisted logic that she had brought disgrace on her family through the sex attack.

Shortly before she was found dead in an allotment garden in the eastern German city of Dessau, she apparently had a premonition of her fate.

Writing on her WhatsApp profile, she said: 'I am awaiting death. But I am too young to die.'

Rokstan had been living in a house for single women before returning to her family a few days before she was murdered and buried in a shallow grave.

The killing has served to pull into sharp focus the cultural gulf between Germans and the more than one million refugees expected to arrive in the country this year.

Syrian rape victim murdered in Germany 'because she was unclean'

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Liberals are the worst.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Somewhere between 610 and the 20th century or so, something went to hell in a handbasket with equal rights for women in Islam. I mean what was the point of the posting to begin with. It's clear women enjoy not only less then equal rights in Islam but none, zero rights. Neither do homosexuals -- two things I continue to be amazed that liberals, women's groups and the LGTB community aren't screaming abut to high heaven.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So why didn't she buy a gun?

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

OK, we salivated. Give us our pellet.

doctorquant and outofplace like this.
  10. YankeeFan

But don't worry, the 8-year-olds referenced are not Muslim, so Muslim women living under Sharia still have more rights than American women:

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It would never happen if the 8-year-olds had guns.

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

You're making a joke about children being raped. What is wrong with you?

Draft saved Draft deleted