1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ninth Circuit: NCAA violates anti-trust law

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by swingline, Sep 30, 2015.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

"A three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit on Wednesday upheld the main thrust of a judge’slandmark decision last yeardeclaring that NCAA rules violate federal antitrust law by restricting players’ ability to trade on their images.The decisionalso struck down part of last year’s ruling by Judge Claudia Wilken of the U.S. District Court in Oakland, which would have allowed football and men’s basketball players to be paid deferred compensation of up to $5,000 per year."

I have to imagine the NCAA will take this all the way to the Supreme Court, fighting tooth and nail to keep its cash cow.

In O’Bannon Case, Appeals Court Says NCAA Rules Violate Antitrust Laws – The Ticker - Blogs - The Chronicle of Higher Education

2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

The headline is a bit glib. Cost of Attendance payments also ruled good enough to maintain the current system.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The NCAA actually came out lucky in this instance because the court ruled that the cost of attendance payments were satisfactory enough. If anything, with the tossout of the $5K ruling, which had seemed pretty arbitrary to me, schools may actually save a couple thousand dollars per athlete.

But, as the article noted, there is the Kessler lawsuit coming up, which seeks free agency. I'd imagine Kessler and Co are paying quite a bit of attention right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted