1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh Snap! Oral history of Theismann's broken leg

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Good article, but I disagree with:

"the most horrific professional sports injury of all time..."

A lot of other situations come to mind, just on the football field. Darryl Stingley for example.

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

It's definitely on the short list IMO. Yes, Theismann did come out of that injury able to walk and live a normal life, but that was just sickening to watch. I missed the play when it happened, but then saw the replay later in the MNF broadcast. I have not been able to bring myself to watch it again in all the years since; if I know the clip is coming, I walk out of the room.

Hell, I'm not even sure I can bring myself to read that story.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I remember watching Theismann's injury live. Jason Kendall's ankle dangling hit me much harder. I avoided replays of it after seeing it once, and I never had done that before.

Good read.

4. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Tim Krumrie, too. I still can see that ankle flopping in the air on replays, and I haven't seen that game since it was live.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Napoleon McCallum, also on MNF, I believe.

For some reason, I remember that I was eating eggs in the living room of the house I grew up in while watching it live. Guess that was my Kennedy assassination.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

UCLA had a wide receiver/kick returner named Freddie Mitchell. Against Texas (I think) he was returning a kickoff up the sideline and tried to dive over a tackler. The guy's helmet hit hit the flying Mitchell right above the knee, breaking the bone. Mitchell's leg came whipping around and it looked like he almost kicked himself in the back of the head.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Kevin Ware.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sid Vicious, the wrestler. Supposedly, it was the first time he ever jumped off the top rope.

9. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

You might need to elaborate on that one.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I won't post the video, out of respect to anyone here with weak stomachs, but he jumped off the top rope during a match, landed awkwardly and his leg snapped quite graphically.

He did a shoot interview, which I had also heard on YouTube, where he said Vince Russo had told him to come off the top rope. Vicious said he told him that he never had done so before because he was so big, he never needed to. He said Russo insisted, he did so and was hurt. He did say that Russo apologized and had a very sheepish look on him.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Yes. It was on MNF against the 49ers. Remember like it was yesterday. Al, Frank and Dan. You could hear the gasps in the booth when they saw the replay.

Draft saved Draft deleted