1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Survivor: Cambodia (Second Chance)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Sep 28, 2015.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Anyone watch the premiere last week? There were some great twists that I think are going to make this season very interesting. I loved placing the idol in the challenge and thought Kelley did a great job getting it. It was fun to watch.

I also liked going to straight to Tribal after the immunity challenge. I'm interested to see if they'll continue that moving forward throughout the season, or if it was a one-off.

Good cast, but man, they were dumb for keeping Crazy Abi and voting off Vytas. Both were annoying the tribe, why not keep the one who can help you win challenges? I always say it, but you just can't afford to vote off strong challenge players before the merge.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

looks like a good season. good start.

And agree on abi vs. vytas.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

For a minute I thought this was a John Kerry hater thread and I had been whisked back to 2004 in the wayback swift boat..

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Great camera work on Kelley and the idol. It appeared she blew her chance, but they caught her timing it perfectly to grab it.

And I agree, too early to keep crazy. Who wants to walk around camp waiting for her to explode, which the preview makes it look like she does again next week.

5. bigpern23

Pretty sure it will happen every week for as long as she's around.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Very shakey ground for this alliance having Abi on board. She is not good for your game.
    She can't keep quiet about plans. Worse, every time she gets angry or gets her feelings hurt, she will change sides; and she is the type of person who is always getting angry or getting her feelings hurt.

7. bigpern23

Very shaky. She literally told Shirin that she was no longer on board! It didn't burn her, but all it did was give Shirin and Spencer a chance to scramble. So stupid. Nobody should trust her to know anything about their plans because she will inevitably get pissed and tell the opposing players about it.

That said, I was glad Woo turned them down Shirin and Spencer because, frankly, Shirin was pretty insulting in the way she approached him (telling him what a shitty player he is and how he's going to get voted out was not the way to swing his vote in your first ever strategic conversation with the dude).

It was pretty incredible how quickly the game flipped on them. Abi popped off and was a bitch to Peih-Gee, Shirin didn't make her feel better an suddenly, they went from having solid numbers to having nine people vote against them.

It's a little disappointing to know that it doesn't really matter now because they're going to switch up tribes next week. I'm not a fan of switching up tribes too often because it takes away from the importance of the relationships, alliances and strategies that are built. It adds too much of an element of randomness if it's done too often. There are exceptions, but I think one tribe switch and one merge are really the ideal amount of shuffling.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The guy telling his story about meeting his wife made me want to vomit.
    And the he's going on about Stephen and playing with integrity.
    I hope that guy gets ousted fast.

I also don't like the tribe switches.

And my biggest complaint: single-challenge episodes. The show is just better viewing when there are two distinct challenges in the hour: one reward and one immunity.
    The interpersonal stuff in camp is the least interesting aspect of the show.

Iron_chet likes this.
  9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Thought for sure Savage was going to say his wife died in some horrible way after the build up and tears. Glad she didn't, but I don't understand everyone getting so emotional over that.

And for Jeremy whining about missing his pregnant wife, there's a simple solution -- don't go on an effing reality and stay hone with her.

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

And how long has he been away from her? A week? Get over yourself.

11. bigpern23

Just watched "Survivor Talk" with Dalton Ross and Shirin on EW.com and it was pretty interesting. Shirin said that before she left tribal after getting voted out, she turned and told everyone that Terry Dietz has an idol, which sent everyone into a tizzy, but it wasn't shown on TV. She said she hoped it would provide an opening for Spencer.

Also interesting is that she said she doesn't think that her lack of attention to Abi was her downfall. Instead, she said that when she realized Varner was flipping on their alliance, she went to the old school players and said, "He's flipping on you, he's trying to flip on us, why don't we all just vote him out?" She said Varner really wanted to vote out Spencer, but her scrambling put her in the crosshairs when Varner found out she was trying to get him voted out.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's interesting.

Certainly this whole new school/old school thing is an editing creation. They have footage of players using the phrases and are just flogging the sh$t out of it.

I still say Abi is poison. You can't carry her the whole way just to get an unlikeable person for finale. She can't keep quiet because she likes to gloat, and she'll change sides every time she get angry or upset with someone.

I like Spencer, and I like Jeremy, although both were crying, which always pisses me off.
    I like Stephen, too, and he wasn't crying, and I don't remember him crying in South America, either.
    And I like Tasha.

Draft saved Draft deleted