1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What exactly is in that Fahrvergnugen, VW?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by murphyc, Sep 21, 2015.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

It would be great if there was some news on whether the OBD-II software in the affected vehicles was configured in such a way as not the throw a CET code.

Recently had some emissions work done on one of my vehicles and part of the service bulletin for the repair was to flash the OBD-II computer with new firmware that increased the range of acceptable values for one particular item the OBD-II measured so it would stop throwing a CET code.

3. WCIBN

WCIBN Active Member

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I do.

As a teacher, you are to be unbiased, like journalism used to be, and I have a hard time believing he unbiasedly delivers content when it comes to business.

5. doctorquant

You got me! Thursday when I was going over n-period moving averages with my undergrads and independent-samples/paired t-tests with my grads, they didn't notice that I'd managed to slip some subliminal images of Murray Rothbard and F.A. Hayek onto the whiteboard. Next week, when we talk about inventory management models in my undergrad class, if you play my lecture backward at 78 rpm you'll hear the quintessential paragraphs from Atlas Shrugged. And in my grad class, when I'm showing them how to use Excel to do the matrix algebra required to calculate confidence intervals and prediction intervals in regression, I'm going to be paraphrasing critical passages from the mission statement of Koch Industries.

And I would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for you meddling kids.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The history of journalism is not full of unbiased reporting. The idea that it should be, is a relatively recent development.

Unbiased teachers? That's a real laugh.

7. doctorquant

You have to give equal weight to both sides: How those you agree with are right and how those you don't agree with are wrong. I mean, that's only fair.

8. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Crazy that VW could have simply installed an exhaust treatment system that would have complied with U.S. emissions standards at a cost of $335 per car. O_T, do you still think U.S. emissions regulations are too onerous for foreign manufacturers to comply?

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Also of note, they could have installed the same system that their SUV/minivans use but it requires a fluid to be added and for their sedans and smaller cars they wanted a simpler diesel experience, so they went with the other system and when they couldn't make it work, they rewrote the code to cheat the testing process.

It is all quite amazing to me.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Hey, it's the Kobayashi Maru solution. It's not cheating. They simply changed the conditions of the test. Earned Captain Kirk a commendation for original thinking.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, is anyone familiar with the emissions tests in both California and Texas and know if California's is as stringent as Texas? Texas requires an OBD-II test in certain metro counties.

(The EPA forces Texas to do these tests, in case you were wondering. If I lived 15 miles up the road I wouldn't have to deal with it.)

Draft saved Draft deleted