1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ball State reporter - Muncie Star Press

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Ben.Breiner, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Ben.Breiner

Ben.Breiner Member

In the last five years, Ball State University has made drastic improvements to both its physical athletic facilities as well as its over-riding sports management philosophies, and now The Star Press is in need of a talented, energetic sports reporter to cover the Mid-American Conference school that is both evolving and has a longstanding sports tradition.

We not only need someone who can keep up with the demands of tracking and reporting on a Division I athletic program, but someone who can do so in creative, sometimes outside-the-box ways as we seek to draw in younger readers with our coverage.

A strong emphasis will be placed on candidates with professional experience who can demonstrate an ability to write a live, immediate gamer as well as a thorough writethru. Social media experience – both in-game and compelling out-of-game presence – will be critical, as will an ability to ferret out compelling, general interest feature/trend stories through the day-to-day reporting.

This beat also, at times, requires strong news reporting skills to inform readers of coaching changes, recruiting news, conference affiliation impact, fundraising issues, attendance trends, compliance efforts and more.

Experience with producing videos from postgame press conferences and/or practice interviews is a plus.

While the primary responsibility of this reporter will be Ball State athletics, the person will also have high school sports reporting duties as well as in-office tasks.

The Star Press does not travel for away Ball State games. And most in-person BSU sports coverage is contained to basketball and football, with some occasional volleyball and baseball game coverage.

What we offer: As a part of Gannett Co., Inc., the nation's largest media and marketing solutions company, we offer a dynamic, community-focused environment where individuals are rewarded for exceptional performance. We offer competitive salaries and benefits, including health care, dental and vision coverage, flexible spending account, 401(k), paid vacation time, personal and sick leave, and tuition reimbursement. Pre-employment drug testing and background screening are required.

Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.

Interested applicants please apply to: Career Opportunities: Muncie- Ball State Sports Reporter (69161)

This is my job (for one more week). Send questions my way via message, though I might answer some in the thread. I can tell you about the beat, overall responsibilities, the department, the town or even the benefits if that's what you want.

2. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Not traveling on the Ball State beat must be a fairly recent move, maybe in the past decade. Haven't seen the paper in a long time, but 10-15 years ago, when Doug Zaleski was in that beat, that paper used to go to at least all the conference road football and basketball games. (They were all driving trips, but still....)

3. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Where are you headed?

4. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

These days, you can't even pretend anyone gives a crap about athletics in at least nine of the MAC schools..

5. Ben.Breiner

Ben.Breiner Member

Basketball travel tailed off at the end of the 2013-14 season, and 2014 was the first non-travel season for football.

6. Ben.Breiner

Ben.Breiner Member

I am joining the staff of The State/GoGamecocks.com as a digital sports reporter.

7. JoshWalfish

JoshWalfish New Member

Has anyone heard back on this yet?

8. Blogtastic

Blogtastic Member

I have not, but then I'm not qualified anyway. :)

9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Hmmm, the Ball State beat. ... I know there's a damn good joke in there somewhere.

Tweener and studthug12 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted