1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter - Corpus Christi, TX

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Great job for a Sports Reporter

Date Posted September 18, 2015
    Industry Newspapers / Wires
    Location Corpus Christi, Texas
    Position Reporter
    Specialty Sports/Outdoors
    Job Status Full-time
    Salary Negotiable
    Website http://www.jmg.com

Description:
    The Corpus Christi Caller-Times a subsidiary of the Journal Media Group seeks a multimedia sports journalist who wants to go beyond the game story and write stories that readers remember.

The ideal candidate will not only know how to write a game story on deadline or a profile feature but also build a story quickly for social media and other digital platforms, and find enterprise stories in the community outside of the games that are covered.

Applicants must have at least two years of daily newspaper experience or internships and daily newspapers combined, with clips showing the ability to write breaking news and game stories, but also enterprise pieces both big and small.

Corpus Christi’s sports market is diverse in that high schools are a staple of coverage, but there is also a Double-A baseball team, Division I Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Division II Texas A&M-Kingsville and the Junior A IceRays hockey team, along with opportunities to catch up with a number of professional athletes that have come from the area.

The Caller-Times pays competitive salary with excellent benefits. Spanish Fluency is a plus.

Corpus Christi sits on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico, about three hours southwest of Houston and two hours south of San Antonio. The warm climate, beach, diverse population and rapid growth make Corpus Christi a dynamic area for telling great stories. The paper consistently is among the top award winners in the region for a mid-sized daily. We're going to fill this spot quickly.

No phone calls for initial correspondence, please. Feel free to e-mail work samples and references (electronic correspondence preferred initially) to: Len Hayward, sports editor, Corpus Christi Caller-Times len.hayward@caller.com.

Candidates must apply electronically at www.jmg.com and look for job requisition 10919

The Caller-Times is an equal opportunity employer.

2. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

Hayward is a great SE to work for. He was in Midland for probably a decade before moving to the coast. Corpus probably has the nicest beaches in Texas too.

3. Ellgee

Ellgee Member

"Corpus probably has the nicest beaches in Texas too."
    No.

4. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

south padre then?

5. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Asking where the best beach (Port Aransas...very underrated) in Texas is, is almost as crazy as asking who has the best BBQ in Lockhart (Black's). Unless you want a long argument that you won't resolve, don't ask.

6. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I visited Corpus Christi on vacation 10 years ago. Stayed at a condominium near Whataburger Field. The trip to the minor league game was the nicest part of the trip. The condominium was on level with an EconoLodge. The beach was dirty. Only thing I really got out of that trip was a love for Whataburger and a wish they would come to the midwest. A fast food burger that's an actual burger, not lukewarm mystery-meat slop.

7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Didn't this gig come open a while back? Or am I confusing it with another South Texas paper? By the way, Whataburger is by far the best damn fast food burger chain around outside of Five Guys or maybe SmashBurger.

8. Ellgee

Ellgee Member

I can go for that or, as the one poster put, Port A. The Padre National Seashore can be nice, but you have to pay.

I lived in Corpus for 13 years after spending much of my life to that point in Florida and I thought Corpus beaches were a bit disappointing. I lived near the beach, and it seemed like there was too much trash. Loved the beach, but the city needed to take better care of it and the people needed to take better care of it. ...

And I went for Kreuz over Black's.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  9. Ellgee

Ellgee Member

Different reporter left this time. Corpus' sports writers had infrequent turnover from 2000 through 2013, but there's been a lot of movement the past couple of years. From the SE to the writers, only one person remains that was there in May 2013. From the start of 2013 until now, I believe five people have left.

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

What's going on down there?

That's too nice a place to live and too nice a newspaper to be losing so many. Well, at least it used to be nice. Not sure if it's any good or not now.

11. Zabka

Zabka Member

There's nothing wrong with the paper. It's just a place that develops reporters and editors and loses them to bigger places. A bunch of people from Corpus Christi have been hired at the Houston Chronicle in the past year or so. They don't make a jump like that if the paper is a bad one.

12. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Fixed. Don't you throw those wannabe, overpriced fools in there.

Draft saved Draft deleted