1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Incompetent in Trenton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Vombatus, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Justice is blind!

Vombatus likes this.
  3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

When I saw the title I thought this thread was going to be about Chris Christie.

Batman and Vombatus like this.
  4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Another JRC thread?

Batman and Baron Scicluna like this.
  5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Roasted Nuts

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Competency cases are almost always strange.

Perhaps the oddest I've seen was a capital case where the defendant was found incompetent to assist his attorneys due to over medication. Turns out the jail doctor was the lover of the defendant's estranged wife. She was half the doc's age. The murder victim? The estranged wife.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

EYE CARAMBA!

cjericho, Batman and Vombatus like this.
  8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Can someone make me a flow chart on this one? I tried reading it four times and I'm still lost. I haven't even had a drink yet.

9. franticscribe

Let me try again.

Guy kills estranged wife.

Guy goes to jail to await trial.

Guy is over medicated in jail to the point he's declared incompetent.

Turns out the jail doc was estranged wife's lover.

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

So the doc was trying to make him so sick or drugged, he couldn't stand trial and thus out the doctor and his affair? Not exactly sure what you call this, but sure sounds like a conflict of interest AND malpractice. What happened to the jail doctor after all this came to light?

11. franticscribe

The doc swore up and down that he didn't do it on purpose, that he wasn't actually making decisions about the guy's treatment because of the conflict, that it was his nurse practitioner who did everything and he just signed off - literally - because he was the supervising MD. He got a reprimand from the state medical board and when his contract with the county was up, it wasn't renewed.

That wasn't the only crazy part of that case, either. The guy got sent off to the state mental institution to get well enough to stand trial. Someone at the state mental hospital anonymously sent the guy's file to the prosecutor, who read a few pages of it before realizing it was confidential material he shouldn't have. Huge 5th and 6th amendment violations. The judge was so pissed at the jail b.s. and the hospital b.s. that he took the death penalty off the table in what was an airtight case on just the facts.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted