1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bleacher Report's Advanced Program in Sports Media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Anonymous135, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Anonymous135

Anonymous135 Member

Has anyone done this before? Just curious what your experience was, how much you actually learned, etc. They say no more than 10 percent of applicants are accepted in any given month, so I thought it might be worth doing.

APSM | Bleacher Report

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

1) Work for free.

2) We profit.

Thanks for coming, everybody!

cjericho and Alma like this.
  3. Anonymous135

Anonymous135 Member

It's not for free. They compensate $150/week for work requiring 10-15 hours, from what I've been told.

That seems pretty darn solid for website pay.

4. LongTimeListener

That's what they pay if you make it to the paid stage. Everyone starts out unpaid, and few make it to paid.

But, wowsers, you can ascend to $7,800 a year!

5. Anonymous135

Anonymous135 Member

Uhhh, no.

"Participants receive thorough schooling in the nuances of 21st-century sports reporting, with stipends paid for the completion of weekly training modules and an option to earn full or partial course credit for their work."

It's a 12-week digital internship, and these are stipends -- not a salary. Read the posting and try again.

6. LongTimeListener

OK. Go to it. Sounds like a winning plan.

7. Anonymous135

Anonymous135 Member

For folks in school or just out of school, it could be. That's why I'm asking. Obviously not a full-time job, but sounds like a potential resume boost and supplementary income for someone who's freelancing, if the program is as selective as they say.

But thanks for dropping by.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Sorry, man. If I see this program on a resume, it's certainly not a "boost."

BrendaStarr and LongTimeListener like this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Go for it although, who the hell knows what 10 hours a week gets you.

Go read Bleacher Report sometime. Does it look like something that'd be hard for you to learn?

It's like saying Uber has a driving school.

sgreenwell and LongTimeListener like this.
  10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I got my degree from Bovine University.

TyWebb likes this.
  11. Anonymous135

Anonymous135 Member

Maybe not to newspapers who don't care for source aggregation and columns, but digital outlets (i.e. Sporting News) would in my judgment.

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Listen, if your mind is already made up, why are you asking us for our input? It sounds like you want to apply for it, and you're just fishing for someone to validate your own opinion on the matter. I'm guessing that most of us here haven't done or looked into this program because we're aware of Bleacher Report's reputation in the industry. Even if you do take this on and have an OK experience with it, I'd recommend leaving it off your resume in the future, unless you're sending your packet into a smaller shop that won't have a savvy sports staffer to look it over.

Draft saved Draft deleted