1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Uber or Raiders?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Sep 23, 2015.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

So Uber has announced that its moving to Oakland and is leasing a humongous space (which conveniently is near where I work). Along with Pandora, I think these moves will benefit Oakland economically a great deal. There is a bit of a backlash about why court Uber but let the Raiders leave?

After getting a degree in Economics in undergrad, I believe the effects of a sports franchise can be real but are vastly overrated these days. IMHO, a large employer however, like Uber, is a much better investment for a public entity, especially when compared to a team playing only 10 times/yr. (Even the A's, 81 dates/yr is better.)

Your views?

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Truth.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There are 39,044 cities/municipalities/towns in this country. Most function quite well without a pro sports team.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Even major league sports franchises rarely directly employ more people than a reasonably busy fast food franchise.

When you discount the millionaire players, you have a couple dozen executive employees, a couple dozen clerical and maintenance workers, and a bunch of independent-contractor part timers. That's it.

You don't see cities shelling out hundreds of millions of bucks to build new restaurants for McDonalds.

5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Detroit should have let the Red Wings dart off to Auburn Hills and Walker should have given the Bucks owners a couple of poker chips as a farewell gift.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

In this case it isn't even a hypothetical debate -- a deal with the Raiders has already destroyed the city one time, and the dumbshits want to make it happen again.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

This is quite incorrect. My wife works in facilities management and you'd be amazed at how many people it takes to operate MetLife Stadium, which is, of course, operational for a lot more events than just 16 Jets and Giants home dates.

That said, they've passed on so much of the cost for a stadium to taxpayers, that cities no longer benefit from their presence.

Draft saved Draft deleted