1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Frontline: 87 of 91 deceased NFL players' brains showed CTE

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Sep 18, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

New: 87 Deceased NFL Players Test Positive for Brain Disease – Concussion Watch - FRONTLINE

It was also found in 44 of the 74 donors who played football (HS, college, semi-pro) but not in the NFL.

Important new information, or more of the same? To me it's good to see the numbers and it sounds pretty shocking, but then again one of the main points of contention that caused ESPN to cave on the documentary was the researcher's statement that she thinks every NFL player has it.

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

It's important. I thought the ratio would be high, but not that high.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I bet kickers and punters throw the CTE stats off a bit. But they seem to be head cases anyway.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

What percentage of men who died at similar ages but did not play football had that brain disease?

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That is what I was wondering reading that. Also, what is the prevalence of CTE in the general population of men? Those numbers sound shocking -- and maybe football is brutally bad for you -- but without putting it into the context of how prevalent CTE is among everyone (not just football players), you can't begin to know just how dangerous playing football specifically is, relative to all the other things men in the aggregate do throughout their lifetime that might cause the same thing. I have never seen anything putting it in that kind of perspective. Do they know that?

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

They don't have those numbers.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Doesn't fit the narrative.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The skeptic in me says there are a lot more than 91 deceased NFL players, so how did they choose those 91?

9. SnarkShark

That's the number of people who volunteered to have their brains examined.

10. SnarkShark

Yes. There should be a control group, for sure. But the gap between those playing in the NFL and just playing football in college or high school is pretty telling.

11. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Good information to get out there and hopefully this will continue conversations about safety and injuries. But this part from the article makes me question just how widespread the problem really is.

Draft saved Draft deleted