1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why doesn't Mike Trout steal bases any more?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Just 10 this year.

Why?

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

He's been trending that direction every season of his career. He batted leadoff as a rookie, right? Now he's batting third and has Pujols smashing 35 HRs batting behind him, so there's less of an incentive to run. Just a different role in the lineup, I suppose.

I haven't seen many of his games, but watching him against the Yankees earlier this season, he really did remind me of Mickey Mantle out in center field (from what I've seen of archival footage of Mantle, at least). It's crazy.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

After the Yankees retired the numbers of Bernie Williams, Jorge Posada and Andy Pettitte this year, there was a discussion on twitter of who would be the next Yankee to have his number retired.

Trout was the leading candidate.

He'll look great in pinstripes in center field.

bigpern23 and JC like this.
  4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Because he hits ahead of Pujols, and Pujols doesn't want him to "take the bat out of his hands" by stealing bases.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

In 2021, maybe. He's locked up until then with a deal that takes him through arbitration and looks a bargain. About the only smart thing Arte Moreno has done.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Basically, nobody steals bases any more. It's been pretty much proven that SB don't help teams score runs, so managers don't let players do it any more.
    There'll have to be some kind of major rules change or other shift in playing conditions for teams to go back to the SB as a major offensive weapon.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It looks like Trout has gotten bigger and thicker than when he came up, which is to be expected between age 20 and 24 and corresponds with the big rise in home runs. I'm guessing he's slower -- his doubles and triples are down quite a bit as well.

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The idea that stolen bases don't help you score runs is silly. The thing is that a player has to steal bases at a certain success rate to add value, i.e. a greater run expectancy overall. Further, stolen bases have become more valuable as runs scored has gone down.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

What has really arisen in the past several years is the concept that SB attempts seriously disrupt hitters batting behind them.

Of course this has always been acknowledged anecdotally, especially in terms of runners running into outs on the base paths while sluggers stand at the plate, but in recent years it's been made much more a point by writers and announcers that the very act of base stealing (or even attempting it) seriously screws up hitters at the plate.

It would be interesting to see if there is actually any evidence this is true.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Well, we can have that discussion when you have some evidence. Otherwise, stealing bases without getting thrown out too much is a good thing. Always has been, always will be.

After being snarky, I will concede that the value of a stolen base is not fixed, but depends on the situation. Most managers and players should realize that, but it doesn't make the SB meaningless.

SnarkShark likes this.
  11. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Yeah, nobody steals bases any more. :rolleyes:

Stolen Bases Leaders: 2015 MLB Season

12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

It was a big question last year, when he moved down in the lineup. Only had 16 last year, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.