1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NOLA layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by checkswinger, Sep 17, 2015.

1. checkswinger

checkswinger Member

Anyone know details?

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

More layoffs at Times-Picayune/Nola.com

One of the things mentioned in here... "a large portion of the full and part time staff that covers prep sports was being let go."

Sweet Jesus. This is so fucked up.

3. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

I once heard that a reader survey at the T-P w as done involving prep coverage. Stories were ranked way low. Pictures were the runaway favorite. With shit like this in the mindset of readers (I hesitate calling them readers since they like picture books), it's no wonder the system is so fucked up.

4. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Yet, those same "readers" will be the first to call and complain when Little Johnny's game-winning touchdown is not reported in the Saturday edition.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

They're gunna get us all in the end.

7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

The consultants did such a fine job introducing the free Internets. LOL. They are laughing all the way to the bank.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's a POS operation, the ownership governing all those properties. They'd rather bury the thing in the fucking earth out of sheer pride than admit that it's driving some of these journalists into the ground, then burning them to a crisp with layoffs.

I mean, you oughta see how hard some of these journalists at Advance properities are working. Doing good stuff, too. Advance doesn't give a shit.

9. Doc Holliday

It doesn't matter how hard you work or how good the shit is you produce if nobody is reading and nobody is buying ads.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh come on. People are reading.

11. Doc Holliday

Well, then, I guess nobody is buying ads because this business is dead as shit.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Unless you're selling toilet lift seats, hearing aids or other products for senior citizens, I can't imagine any business paying to advertise in a newspaper.

Draft saved Draft deleted