1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Milo Hamilton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Longtime Braves, Cubs and Astros broadcaster. Called Hank Aaron's 715th home run, among other things:

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

He's sittin' on 714...

3. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

You know who listened to Milo Hamilton? Bill Clinton. While he was having his espresso machine repaired and encouraging all the pot-smokers out there to disrespect police officers.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

While Black churches burned.

5. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

One of the most amazing things about Milo Hamilton's career longevity? He broadcast St. Louis Browns games. How many people who played or worked for that franchise are still around? I think Ned Garver and Roy Sievers are still alive, and so is Mary Frances Veeck.

6. Steak Snabler

Jungle Jim Rivera is still alive, I believe.

7. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I hope Harry Carey isn't waiting for him at the pearly gates. Shit will get real.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not quite the same, but I wonder if the Browns ever played the Brooklyn Dodgers in exhibition games that were broadcasted by Vin Scully?

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Caray.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Him, too.

11. Steak Snabler

When Milo publicly trashed Harry on the day he died, Skip referred to him as "typical gutless Milo Hamilton" on the air.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  12. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

This article (written by a newspaper editor in Florida who is a lifelong Cardinals fan) is mainly about Joe Garagiola, but it sheds some light on the origins of the Hamilton-Caray feud. It appears to have started long before their uncomfortable pairing with the Cubs:

How Harry Caray got Joe Garagiola into Cardinals booth

Draft saved Draft deleted