1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Birthday, Mario

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The original Super Mario Bros. game was released 30 years ago today. Amazingly, it's still probably in the top 10 of most "best ever" lists, or should be, and is still fun as hell to play. Certainly the most influential game of its generation, and maybe all-time.
    Best Christmas present I got as a kid was the NES that had it included. I still remember hooking it up to the black and white TV in my room to play it.

Happy 30th birthday, 'Super Mario Bros.'!

spikechiquet likes this.
  2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Last weekend, I went up to Washington state for my sister's wedding, and spent a lot of time beforehand at her house. They have one of those retro NES machines and her 5-year-old stepson and his cousins and friends (up to age 12) were playing Super Mario Bros. on it practically nonstop. With all of the graphically advanced and realistic video games that come out today, it's still amazing how well that game holds up. Still decent graphics for something from the late 80s and still a hell of a lot of fun. The kids today absolutely love it, if our little focus group is any indication.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Hell, I wish I could still play the original Mario Bros. for Atari 2600, which wasn't as advanced, but still fun.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

A mile better than Super Mario 2, and not too far below Super Mario 3. All of which are far behind Super Mario World.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Somehow, I never played Super Mario World. But Super Mario Bros. 3 might be the best NES game ever, and is on the short list for best ever for any system. Twenty-five years later, and it's still fun as hell to play and very challenging. There's just so much to do in that game, so many secrets that I remember as I'm playing a world.

I got into doing SMB3 speed runs for a hot second a while back. Got my time down to about 12 minutes and 30 seconds, and felt shamed because there were videos of people doing it in half that.

6. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Lots of good memories of NES and Super NES marathon playing in the 80s/90s. Mario, Zelda, Contra, Mega Man.

I recently got a PS4 after years of not playing. Gaming is so different. I think I'd still like a Wii U for the newer Mario games.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You ever look into getting a cheap Wii? The Virtual Console remains awesome. Tons of old games -- pretty much every major 8- and 16-bit system is on there -- for $5 to $15 a pop depending on the system. I have a Wii I use often and hardly ever play any of the actual Wii games. It's all the NES and SNES games I've downloaded.
    Not sure what old games the Playstation Network has, but the VC has always been a treasure trove.

8. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Yeah. Got my parents' old Wii and I've got more VC games than Wii games. The newer Mario games like New and Galaxy 1 and 2 have a lot of replay value. Can't think of any third-party titles I bought other than Ghostbusters and SmackDown vs. Raw. I'd like to play New Mario U and 3D Land. Saw a commercial for Mario Maker. Looks fun, too.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That damn Super Mario music was the soundtrack of a good bit of the late 1980s.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Greatest home video game of all time = Adventure, from Atari

spikechiquet likes this.
  11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Boop-boop a-boopboopboop a-boopboopboopboop boooo-boop

Decathlon waves its arms and demands your attention.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'Adventure' was the bomb:
    • First attempt at action-adventure genre.
    • First attempt at video RPG and almost open-ended, mission-based game.
    • First home-game example of an Easter egg.

The best.

Draft saved Draft deleted