1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer/designer, The News-Enterprise: Elizabethtown, Ky.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by RyanOGara, Sep 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyanOGara

RyanOGara New Member

I worked here for about two years before taking another job earlier this year. The sports editor is excellent and the rest of the staff is very friendly. I had a great experience here... area teams are good and coaches very accessible. This is not the same opening that was filled over the summer. Would be happy to answer any questions.

Sports Reporter
    The News-Enterprise
    Elizabethtown, KY

The News-Enterprise, an aggressive daily newspaper in Hardin County, Ky., with 14,500 circulation Monday-Friday and Sunday, is accepting applications for a sports reporter to cover high school, community and youth sports in the diverse, 100,000 population county that includes Fort Knox. The newspaper is published in Elizabethtown, 40 miles south of Louisville. The candidate who lands this newsroom position will be a high-energy performer who reports and writes effectively on deadline and is able to design, paginate and proof pages effectively; understands the value of online immediacy; who sees story ideas where others don’t and just can’t wait to tell readers about them. The sports team consists of three full-time, one part-time staffer.

QUALIFICATIONS:

• Strong communication, organization and time-management skills.
    • Ability to write compelling, comprehensive, fact-filled local sports stories on deadline while putting readers first by avoiding cliches and arcane language.
    • At least two years practical journalism experience, preferably reporting, writing and/or editing sports.
    • Proficient in using computers to write and the Internet to research.
    • Demonstrated ability to design effective pages in deadline situation using InDesign.
    • Ability to use a digital camera and capable with Adobe PhotoShop.
    • Familiarity with requirements of photojournalism and ability to work with photojournalists.
    • Willingness to work at the times sporting events take place, including evenings and weekends.
    • Strong initiative.
    • Adaptable.
    • Working knowledge and understanding of Hardin County local and/or regional sports scene a plus.
    • Bachelor’s degree preferred.

ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:

• Report and write previews of local sports events, focus on individual athletes, cover high school and other local sports events.
    • Focus on young athletes and their efforts. Look for interesting stories in participatory sports that don’t normally receive much attention.
    • Design effective pages in deadline situation using InDesign.
    • Use effective headline writing that accurately summarizes the story while engaging the readers.
    • Develop daily and long-range story and photograph ideas.
    • Use a digital camera and work with Adobe PhotoShop.
    • Establish and nurture sources among athletes, coaches, administrators and others involved in local sports.
    • Demonstrate understanding and commitment to serving readers.
    • Work with photographers to develop ideas for illustrating stories.
    • Participate in Sports Team meetings and decisions.

LCNI employees, notify your immediate supervisor and LCNI HR Director if making application. Position available immediately.

Interested persons contact:
    Chuck Jones, Sports Editor
    E-mail: cjones@thenewsenterprise.com

Write: The News-Enterprise
    408 W. Dixie Ave.
    Elizabethtown, KY 42701

EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Oh boy.

3. YankeeFan

Are we not going to get the usual inside information on this job opening from the usual suspects?

What's the word on this one @ KYSportsWriter ?

donjulio15 likes this.
  4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Why do I somehow suspect that your intentions are not daisy-fresh with this one?

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Because he doesn't really have anything else to bring to this particular area.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
    KYSportsWriter likes this.
  6. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

One of the usual suspects doesn't appear to be writing for the paper anymore. Heard the SE is a swell guy, though. A real straight shooter.

7. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

And we have a winner (after more than three months)!

Alex Shoemaker, a former Oregon Duck and most recently of the Buffalo (Wyoming) Bulletin.

Alex Shoemaker (@MrAlexShoemaker) | Twitter
    Alex Shoemaker
    ‏@MrAlexShoemaker
    I'm pleased to announce I'll be joining the sports staff over at @NEheadlines as a sports reporter in the @thenesports dept. #KentuckyBound
    8:32 AM - 18 Dec 2015

His first byline was in today's edition I do believe.

8. JohnHammond

So this paper doesn't promote from within?

9. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Yes and no.

Since I joined the paper in 2000 -- and then was terminated in September 2015 -- I'm pretty sure these are the promotions from within (in the newsroom):

- From copy desk to newsroom editor (although he had been editor -- even publisher, IIRC -- at several smaller papers)
    - From news reporter to city (A section/news) team leader
    - From sports editor to city team leader
    - From sports writer to sports editor
    - From sports clerk to sports writer (that was me)
    - From reporter/paginator to copy desk chief

Only three sports in-house promotions (I think) in the last 16 years (granted the staff has never been bigger than one sports editor, two sports writers and a part-time clerk/writer for a total of a four-person sports department). And all three of those happened around the same time (sports editor promoted to city leader, full-time sports writer becomes sports editor and part-time sports clerk becomes full-time sports writer).

And IIRC, the last 12 full-time sports writers/sports editors were white males under 40 when they were hired. That worked in my favor since I'm a white male under 40 (and was still in my teens when my first byline appeared).

10. YankeeFan

Someone is moving to Kentucky for a $10.00 an hour job?

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Why do you care? Did you apply? (deep belly laugh)

KYSportsWriter likes this.
  12. JohnHammond

Any idea on why management didn't promote the part-timer?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.