1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Give me a 9! Give me a 1! Give a 1! What's that spell?"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Cheerleaders in a small Texas town do a 9-11-themed routine at a pep rally. The video goes viral and now has more than 25 million views.

A Cheer Squad's Routine Set To The Sounds Of 9/11 Has Everyone Talking

A tasteful tribute, or a little crass to be doing somersaults to the sounds of a horrible day?

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

These are kids who probably don't remember much (if anything) from 9/11. They were 3 or 4 at the time.

Common sense says you don't touch it, but you have to keep in mind how young they are.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

No worse than the slew is shitty 9-11 country songs that came out soon after the event.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Future Pharmaceutical Saleswomen Of America.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

No worse than the "9+11 equals 20 percent off your yoga membership, today only!" ads, either.

In this case, cheerleading routines should follow the same flowchart:

[​IMG]

doctorquant and YankeeFan like this.
  7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

That squad's follow up performance this weekend celebrates a crane collapsing into a mosque.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Wouldn't they have a teacher coaching/supervising them?

9. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I've seen schools where the cheerleading "coach" is just someone who makes sure they get to and from games. The senior cheerleaders coach the rest of the squad.

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Had to turn that off after 15 seconds. That was in bad taste and I hope someone at the school told those girls as much.

What would have been better (apart from just not doing it at all) is if the girls had just stood there, with their heads down for the whole playing of their routine. It would have been somber and respectful.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

You only cover us when we do 9/11 routines.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I kind of half-expected the girls to make two towers and then a giant dong Enterprise swoops in and knocks them down.

Draft saved Draft deleted